Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeremyC

Default Using find and replace or macros to replace page ranges

I am using Word 2003, but if I can successfully figure out how to do this, I
would also like to be able to do the same on Word 2004 for Mac.

I am trying to figure out a way to automate replacing numbers in page ranges
to match the Chicago Manual of Style. For instance, I need to change 149-167
to 149-67, but not 149-249 to 149-49 or not 106-108 to 106-08 (instead that
should go to 106-8). I'm not sure I have thought out all the exceptions,
though these are the most basic. I am mainly looking for the methodology to
use, whether through find and replace or macros. I don't want to spend too
much time trying to figure it out, because I'm not sure the return will be
worth a lot of time invested.

I know that by using wildcard search and replace I can do most of this. For
instance, I could search for
([!0-9])([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])([0-9])([0-9]) and replace with
\1\2\3\4\\5\6, replacing something like 125126 to "12526. But that
doesn't help me with all because I would still have to make adjustments for
the above-mentioned exceptions.

If automating using macros is the best choice, I would also like to figure
out a way to double-check that changes were made correctly and there were no
mistakes. So is it possible to write into the macro (if doing a macro) to
copy all replacements (or all things being replaced) into a blank word
document to be able to quickly scan all instances of replacements? Or to
highlight all changes made in the document to be able to quickly pick up what
was changed?

Does this make sense? Can anyone help? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

The following macro deals with the case that you mention:

Dim numrange As Range, numrange1 As Range, numrange2 As Range
Selection.HomeKey wdStory
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
Do While .Execute(FindText:="[0-9]{1,}-[0-9]{1,}", MatchWildcards:=True,
Wrap:=wdFindStop, Forward:=True) = True
Set numrange = Selection.Range
Selection.Range.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
Set numrange1 = numrange.Duplicate
Set numrange2 = numrange.Duplicate
numrange1.End = numrange1.Start + InStr(numrange1, "-") - 1
numrange2.Start = numrange2.Start + InStr(numrange2, "-")
If Len(numrange1) = Len(numrange2) Then
If Left(numrange1, 1) = Left(numrange2, 1) Then
If Mid(numrange1, 2, 1) = Mid(numrange2, 2, 1) Then
numrange = numrange1 & "-" & Mid(numrange2, 3)
Else
numrange = numrange1 & "-" & Mid(numrange2, 2)
End If
End If
End If
Loop
End With

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"JeremyC" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeremyC

Thanks. Will that make exceptions for numbers such as 200-204, which should
not be shortened, or for 202-204, which should be shortened to 202-4? Also,
will that create notation to show which numbers were changed? I'm thinking
that it won't work for these special circumstances, but perhaps I can figure
out how to modify it do so.

"JeremyC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

This modification will leave 200-204 untouched, but will change 202-204 to
202-4

_
Wrap:=wdFindStop, Forward:=True) = True
Set numrange = Selection.Range
Selection.Range.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
Set numrange1 = numrange.Duplicate
Set numrange2 = numrange.Duplicate
numrange1.End = numrange1.Start + InStr(numrange1, "-") - 1
numrange2.Start = numrange2.Start + InStr(numrange2, "-")
If Len(numrange1) = Len(numrange2) Then
If Left(numrange1, 1) = Left(numrange2, 1) Then
If Mid(numrange1, 2, 1) = Mid(numrange2, 2, 1) Then
If Mid(numrange1, 2) "00" Then
numrange = numrange1 & "-" & Mid(numrange2, 3)
End If
Else
numrange = numrange1 & "-" & Mid(numrange2, 2)
End If
End If
End If
Loop
End With

What sort of notation do you want to show that the numbers have been
changed?

--

"JeremyC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeremyC

For the changes, ideally I would like to have the macro create a new document
and paste a copy of all the ranges replaced and what they were replaced with.
That way I could just glance through the newly created document to
double-check that nothing had gone amiss in the changes--that there weren't
exceptions for that particular document. That may be too complex, in which
case simply highlighting any replacement ranges or putting them in a
different font color or size would be an acceptable alternative.

"JeremyC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

How about saving the document before running the macro, run the macro and
then use the ToolsCompare and Merge Documents utility.

Or, the following macro will create a separate document in which will be
listed all of the changes:

Sub A()

Dim numrange As Range, numrange1 As Range, numrange2 As Range
Dim source As Document, target As Document
Set source = ActiveDocument
Set target = Documents.Add
source.Activate
Selection.HomeKey wdStory
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
Do While .Execute(FindText:="[0-9]{1,}-[0-9]{1,}", MatchWildcards:=True,
_
Wrap:=wdFindStop, Forward:=True) = True
Set numrange = Selection.Range
Selection.Range.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
Set numrange1 = numrange.Duplicate
Set numrange2 = numrange.Duplicate
numrange1.End = numrange1.Start + InStr(numrange1, "-") - 1
numrange2.Start = numrange2.Start + InStr(numrange2, "-")
If Len(numrange1) = Len(numrange2) Then
If Left(numrange1, 1) = Left(numrange2, 1) Then
If Mid(numrange1, 2, 1) = Mid(numrange2, 2, 1) Then
If Mid(numrange1, 2) "00" Then
target.Range.InsertAfter numrange
numrange = numrange1 & "-" & Mid(numrange2, 3)
target.Range.InsertAfter " was changed to " &
numrange & vbCr
End If
Else

"JeremyC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeremyC

Thank you so much. This should be most helpful. I'll run a few tests when I
get into work on Monday and let you know if I run into anything else I need
help with. I had forgotten about the compare documents, so that might be a
suitable alternative.

"JeremyC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeremyC

I ran into a few snags testing it at work. I think I could figure most of
them out, but am not sure I have the time right now, so will post it to see
if you can help. In my test, the macro did not catch 100-110 or 100-10 and
replace those with 100-110. It also missed 200-4 to replace with 200-204 (I
probably didn't give you that possibility to check for when writing the
original macro, so no problem there--just another permutation I thought of as
I was testing it).

The merge and compare function did work ok. I'm still trying to decide which
I like better--that or the way you wrote the macro to create a new blank
page. Is it possible to add in a command in the macro to also note which
pagethe correction came from? So, for instance, if I'm running the macro on a
200 page document, I can know that the change from 125-136 to 125-36 was from
page 26, etc.?

One final concern. Again, I think I can figure this out, but if you could
help, that would be great. I need to make sure that all hyphens in page
ranges are en dashes. It would be cool to get the macro to check for all page
ranges with hyphens and en dashes and change the resulting ranges to en
dashes. What would also work without too much modification to the macro is
just to do a quick find and replace for hyphens in number sequences and
change them to en dashes before running the macro. The macro then needs to be
changed to search for en dashes in number ranges rather than hyphens.

Thanks again--you've been extremely helpful.

Find and Replace GREEK symbols in XP, 2K & 97 Jazz Microsoft Word Help 3 April 8th 05 08:13 PM
Find and Replace Michael R New Users 11 January 22nd 05 05:31 PM
Find and Replace anomaly BruceM Microsoft Word Help 7 January 18th 05 05:47 PM
A "Ctrl + Page Down" doe a "find and replace", Why? rarrigo Microsoft Word Help 1 January 13th 05 09:00 PM
find and replace symbols Tewodaj New Users 8 January 11th 05 02:22 AM