Cindy M -WordMVP-

Default Table behavior..

Hi ?B?S2luZCB3cml0ZXIvdXNlci9wcm9ncmFtbWVy?=,

Probably, the document's internal structures were already a bit muddled, and
adding an additional style made it blow. Just a guess... You've tried saving to
HTML, and lost most of that huge table, you say.

How about saving to XML, does that give you anything different?

About the only other idea I have that wouldn't involve recreating that complex
table would be to open a document that will at least SHOW you the table
on-screen, then do a Print Screen to capture it in a graphic. You could then
copy/paste the TEXT into a new file and insert this graphic in lieu of the
actual table.

I've attached a template and have been applying styles to a 50 page document
that has maybe 30 figures and 30 tables. The first page is a massive table
that looks like an engineering drawing. About half way thru the doc, I
defined a new paragraph style NOT in a table and the application went into
some kind of ballistic mode and reformatted ALL the tables in the document
such that the display showed rows and cells resizing independently. I
couldn't interrupt the operation, and then the system hung.

I closed out of Word, reopened and recovered the doc under a different name.
Now, no matter which version of the doc I open, I get the error message that
a table is corrupt, "odd" number of pages in this document (sometimes 8
pages, or 3 pages,or 130 pages) and each row became a separate 1/2 inch wide
table separated by a paragraph mark.

Tables in 2003 behave differently than those in previous versions of
Office/Word (a 18 year FT user for my job). What is with the 'text box'
behavior of tables (the white resize grab boxes in the corners of a table)?

What caused this outrageous unrecoverable behavior? Upoon opening
eitherversion of the document, a dialog displays one of the tables has become
corrupt...

I already tried the MVP suggestion to save as web page, and only get the
first 3 rows of the front page. I didn't touch or redefine any of the styles
in that first table....

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Kind writer/user/programmer

Thanks for the suggestions; I've "cut" an older version of the table into
the title page's header and footer, with input fields from two dialogs. Your
assessment suggests this table will come back and bite me in the future--its
history is unknown but indicates lots of merged cells.

I never cease to be amazed at the level of corruptness in Word documents.

One workaround leveraged by a previous project team was to create the
complex title page in PowerPoint and paste as a graphic into the Word doc
which helps saves on doc size and precludes any unexpected behaviors.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Resources for Long Document Management Jason Langkamer-Smith Microsoft Word Help 9 January 17th 05 08:17 PM
Copying a Table Into a Table Karen Microsoft Word Help 1 January 14th 05 03:06 PM
Table Issues Karen Microsoft Word Help 4 January 5th 05 07:43 PM
Word 2003 Table AutoFormat vs Macro vs VBA Kind writer/user/programmer Tables 1 October 28th 04 03:14 PM
WORD TABLE FORMULAS Forms BigWylie1 Tables 3 October 28th 04 12:13 AM