Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mbleyle

Default Trying to replace words with fields using Find/Replace

I have searched for an answer and apologize if it already exists...

I am trying to replace words in a document with a field after I have already
composed the doc. For example, assume I have written a book about apples,
and later decide that I want to substitute the word "apple" with a field,
whcih of course can carry the value "apple" or any other fruit I choose to
define.

Once my book has been written with thousands of literal "apple" words
throughout, what's the best way to replace those instances with my new field?

I have tried to force find/replace to do this but without success. Thanks
to anyone who helps out.

Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Hi Mike,

Here's the simplest way:

Create the field. It could be a Ref field pointing to a bookmark, or a
DocProperty field pointing to a custom document property (or, less likely, a
DocVariable field; you need a macro to set the value of a document
variable). Select the field and copy or cut it to the clipboard.

Put the cursor at the beginning of the document and open the Replace dialog.
In the Find box, enter the word or phrase to replace. In the Replace box,
enter the code ^c (or click More, click Special, and select "Clipboard
Contents", which inserts the same code). Click the Replace All button.

You'll probably have to select all text in the document (Ctrl+A) and update
the fields (F9).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman