Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
JN JN is offline

Default Supid message when applying border

Hi. I have a large document which has a few tables in it.
I am trying to outline each table with a blue line.
I highlight the table, click BORDERS AND SHADING, but I only get the shading
tab and when I try and click Borders I get this message:
The measurement must be between 1 pt and 31 pt.
What on earth is that supposed to mean???
I'm getting the message on any other of the tables and cells and rows.
Hope someone can help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
JN JN is offline

Thanks. ok so it applies to the border line.
So how do you make it between 1pt and 31 pt if you can't get into the border
tab to do it?

"JN" wrote in message
Hi. I have a large document which has a few tables in it.
I am trying to outline each table with a blue line.
I highlight the table, click BORDERS AND SHADING, but I only get the
shading tab and when I try and click Borders I get this message:
The measurement must be between 1 pt and 31 pt.
What on earth is that supposed to mean???
I'm getting the message on any other of the tables and cells and rows.
Hope someone can help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

It actually applies to the space between the border and the text, but it is
decidedly a bug, as JN points out, when you can't get to the Border and
Shading Options dialog to change it.

"JN" wrote in message
Hi. I have a large document which has a few tables in it.
I am trying to outline each table with a blue line.
I highlight the table, click BORDERS AND SHADING, but I only get the
shading tab and when I try and click Borders I get this message:
The measurement must be between 1 pt and 31 pt.
What on earth is that supposed to mean???
I'm getting the message on any other of the tables and cells and rows.
Hope someone can help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

The maxiumum width of a border line is 6pts, so the between 1 and 31pts is
not referring to that.

In you original post, you said that you only got the Shading tab. Where
then are you clicking when you try and click BORDERS?

Was this document created from scratch in Word or did it originate from some
other source.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"JN" wrote in message
Hi. I have a large document which has a few tables in it.
I am trying to outline each table with a blue line.
I highlight the table, click BORDERS AND SHADING, but I only get the
shading tab and when I try and click Borders I get this message:
The measurement must be between 1 pt and 31 pt.
What on earth is that supposed to mean???
I'm getting the message on any other of the tables and cells and rows.
Hope someone can help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Hi JN,

What version of Word and how are you selecting the table.

The 1-31pt range appears in Format=Borders and Shading in
the /Borders\ tab under options when 'paragraph' is the selection rather than table and in the /Page border\ tab Options dialog.

In the original message it appears that you want to apply a blue line to the outside of each table. It's possible that 'table'
isn't the selected area?

==========
"JN" wrote in message ...
Hi. I have a large document which has a few tables in it.
I am trying to outline each table with a blue line.
I highlight the table, click BORDERS AND SHADING, but I only get the shading
tab and when I try and click Borders I get this message:
The measurement must be between 1 pt and 31 pt.
What on earth is that supposed to mean???
I'm getting the message on any other of the tables and cells and rows.
Hope someone can help
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
JN JN is offline

Thanks all.
I'm working on Word 2003
The table was copied from an Excel 03 spreadsheet.
I was able to use the Boarder Icon on the toolbar to overide the existing
blue boarder and then I could open the Border tab of the Borders & Shading
dialog box.
But when I went to put a thicker border with the options there, I got the
same message. None of them worked. Even the thinnest one and black.
Obviously this is a glitch. I've given up on it. Annoying though
Thanks a lot anyway

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...

"JN" wrote in message
Hi. I have a large document which has a few tables in it.
I am trying to outline each table with a blue line.
I highlight the table, click BORDERS AND SHADING, but I only get the
shading
tab and when I try and click Borders I get this message:
The measurement must be between 1 pt and 31 pt.
What on earth is that supposed to mean???
I'm getting the message on any other of the tables and cells and rows.
Hope someone can help
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Michael S. Michael S. is offline

Hi

I had the same problem when trying to change the color of a table.

No chance to fix it, it must be a bug!

To solve the problem, just save your file as a rich text file (.rtf), close
the document an re-open it with ms word. Save it again as a .doc file. Then
it should work again.

greetings

michael

"JN" wrote:

Hi. I have a large document which has a few tables in it.
I am trying to outline each table with a blue line.
I highlight the table, click BORDERS AND SHADING, but I only get the shading
tab and when I try and click Borders I get this message:
The measurement must be between 1 pt and 31 pt.
What on earth is that supposed to mean???
I'm getting the message on any other of the tables and cells and rows.
Hope someone can help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
don don is offline

We managed to clear the message here by getting to the page boarder tab.
[With nothing selected in the document, select format, reveal formatting.
When the formatting pane opens scroll to the section area and select
boarders. The boarders and shading panel appears.] If you are on the page
tab, you are where you want to be. Select any of the art boarders and let it
apply. Go back and select none for art and all will be resolved.

"JN" wrote:

Hi. I have a large document which has a few tables in it.
I am trying to outline each table with a blue line.
I highlight the table, click BORDERS AND SHADING, but I only get the shading
tab and when I try and click Borders I get this message:
The measurement must be between 1 pt and 31 pt.
What on earth is that supposed to mean???
I'm getting the message on any other of the tables and cells and rows.
Hope someone can help

Can I AutoSize (or Fit) merged, variable data within a text box? H Eric Torres Mailmerge 8 September 7th 06 11:44 AM
Strange spelling message New Users 12 July 9th 06 10:15 AM
mail merge to email - message body AND attachment Dan Mailmerge 1 May 26th 06 05:48 PM
Textbox Border Prints wrong systemConsultant Microsoft Word Help 0 May 11th 06 03:56 PM
Moving page border J Brydle Page Layout 1 May 3rd 06 11:06 PM