Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Adrian Lowdike Adrian Lowdike is offline

Default numbered outline: convert numbers in headers to text in headers

I knew a trick with MS word that I now have forgotten, but that I
need.

I have a word document with a large number of numbered headings
and subheadings. The numbering is done automatically by Word.

Now I want the numbers to appear as part of the text
in the headers.
I need this for converting to pdf.
Without this feature the pdf bookmarks do show the
headers but do not show the numbers in front of the headers.
Greetings
Ad
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Do you have a StyleRef field in the header? Or are you trying to include the
"chapter number" as part of the page number?

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm

"Adrian Lowdike" Adrian wrote in message
news
I knew a trick with MS word that I now have forgotten, but that I
need.

I have a word document with a large number of numbered headings
and subheadings. The numbering is done automatically by Word.

Now I want the numbers to appear as part of the text
in the headers.
I need this for converting to pdf.
Without this feature the pdf bookmarks do show the
headers but do not show the numbers in front of the headers.
Greetings
Ad

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Adrian Lowdike Adrian Lowdike is offline

Default numbered outline: convert numbers in headers to text in header

May be I was not clear;
Example text:

*********
A Introduction (style header 1)
some text
A.1 Sales (style: header 2)
some text
B International (style: header 1)
some text
B.1 Europe (style; header 2)
some text
***************

It was generated using numbered outlines.
(Format, Bullets and Numbering).

When exported to pdf the headers
are exported but not the numbers.

Introduction
some text
Sales
some text
International
some text
Europe
some text

Adrian

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do you have a StyleRef field in the header? Or are you trying to include the
"chapter number" as part of the page number?

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm

"Adrian Lowdike" Adrian wrote in message
news
I knew a trick with MS word that I now have forgotten, but that I
need.

I have a word document with a large number of numbered headings
and subheadings. The numbering is done automatically by Word.

Now I want the numbers to appear as part of the text
in the headers.
I need this for converting to pdf.
Without this feature the pdf bookmarks do show the
headers but do not show the numbers in front of the headers.
Greetings
Ad

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

What wasn't clear was that you were referring to *headings* rather than
headers.

Did you apply the outline numbering directly to the paragraphs, or did you
modify the styles? See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html for
instructions to set up bulletproof outline numbering.

"Adrian Lowdike" wrote in message
May be I was not clear;
Example text:

*********

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do you have a StyleRef field in the header? Or are you trying to include

the
"chapter number" as part of the page number?

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Adrian Lowdike" Adrian wrote in

message
news
I knew a trick with MS word that I now have forgotten, but that I
need.

I have a word document with a large number of numbered headings
and subheadings. The numbering is done automatically by Word.

Now I want the numbers to appear as part of the text
in the headers.
I need this for converting to pdf.
Without this feature the pdf bookmarks do show the
headers but do not show the numbers in front of the headers.
Greetings
Ad

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Adrian Lowdike Adrian Lowdike is offline

Suzanne,

that is not the problem.
I know all the stuff trhat is in the hyperlink
you supplied.

My outline numbered list is absolutely
bulletproof. It is custom headers 6 levels deep
with about 700 hundred (sub)headers
with automatic numbering.
Whenever I stay within word or print it is fine.

The problem is that the numbering is a kind of macro, that is lost
when exporting.
And there is a feature in ms word to get the numbers in the headers.

Basically it would mean
A1 A1 Introduction

With the first "A1" the numbering and "A1 Introduction:
is the header.
Greetings
Adrian

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do you have a StyleRef field in the header? Or are you trying to include

the
"chapter number" as part of the page number?

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Adrian Lowdike" Adrian wrote in

message
news I knew a trick with MS word that I now have forgotten, but that I
need.

I have a word document with a large number of numbered headings
and subheadings. The numbering is done automatically by Word.

Now I want the numbers to appear as part of the text
in the headers.
I need this for converting to pdf.
Without this feature the pdf bookmarks do show the
headers but do not show the numbers in front of the headers.
Greetings
Ad

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Adrian Lowdike Adrian Lowdike is offline

I found the answer: it is in

Greetings
Adrian

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Convert Currency (USD) from Numbers to Text Pat Falango New Users 3 September 26th 06 12:53 PM
outline numbered list has incorrect numbers at level 4 JC Microsoft Word Help 11 August 25th 06 09:40 PM
Outline Guy Lydig Microsoft Word Help 3 August 4th 06 04:23 PM
Word applies direct format on File open Uriel Microsoft Word Help 16 November 27th 05 08:22 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 03:49 PM