Paul

Default How do I create two TOC's with separate styles

Hi,

How do I create two TOC's with just the first 5 headings having separate but
simlar styles. And the second TOC not effecting the first TOC?

Thanks in advance
Paul

It depends on what you mean by "separate styles." If you mean that the TOCs
should pick up separate styles for inclusion, then this can be done through
the TOC Options dialog; just select the styles you want to include, typing
in numbers indicating the desired TOC level (if the styles don't already
have an outline level assigned), and clear the levels for any styles you
don't want to include.

If you mean that you want the TOC entries to have different formatting, then
this is possibly only if you use different TOC styles for the two TOCs. For
example, suppose you want two TOCs, one summary and one detailed, including
some of the same heading levels, and you want them formatted differently:

Contents at a Glance

Heading 1 TOC 1
Heading 2 TOC 2

Detailed Contents

Heading 1 TOC 3
Heading 2 TOC 4
Heading 3 TOC 5
Heading 4 TOC 6

and so on. You can map heading levels to different TOC levels by changing
the numbers that appear beside them in the TOC Options dialog.

If you mean that the first five TOC entries should have different
formatting, then your best bet is to apply a different heading style to them
and map that style to a different TOC level. For example:

Preface
List of Abbreviations
Table of Figures
Table of Tables
Introduction
Chapter 1. The First Chapter
Chapter 2. The Second Chapter

Create a style (which may be identical to Heading 1 except for the
numbering) to apply to those first few elements. Give it an outline level
that is otherwise not used (for example TOC 4 if you're including only three
levels of headings), and then format TOC 4 to look the same as TOC 1 except
for numbering or whatever (actually it may well be that you can use TOC 1).