Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
bronxbabe bronxbabe is offline

Default Mail merge with excel data

i'm trying to do a mail merge using excel data. my problem is that my first
row (in excel) has data in it that cannot be deleted, but it is NOT my
header/label row. the second row has the labels (last name, first name,
etc...) but, i need the first row because it has a date, which is used in
the formulas to calculate ages, lengths of employments, etc... If i delete
this first row, most formulas revert to "REF" marks. If I run the merge as
is, when the table is displayed, it is labelled as F1, F2, F3,... and there
are more than 500 columns altogether. (I have unchecked the option: "First
row of data contains column headers" in the Select Table dialogue, but same
results.) Any suggestions,

p.s. copying the table into word to generate merge a lot of work since
there were multiple tabs being used.

Thanks in advance,
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi bronxbabe,

A fairly simple workaround would be to cut your first row and paste it onto
another worksheet, then delete the first row.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"bronxbabe" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You can try the following:
a. before you merge, in Excel select the entire sheet except for the first
row and use Insert|Name|Define to create a range name (Let's sau "mydata"
b. In Word, go through the process of connecting to the spreadsheet, and
(if you are using Word 2002/2003) "mydata" should be presented as one of the
possible "tables".

Peter Jamieson