Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jen Jen is offline

Default AutoCorrect: all replaced with (

I almost never go into thye AutoCorrect dialog box (certainly haven't
recently), but I do use some of the defaults there - such as replacing "--"
with an arrow.

A week or two ago, the AutoCorrect stopped working - everything that used to
AutoCorrect now gets changed to an open parenthesis. So, if I type -- it
becomes (. It's been bugging me, but not a huge deal...so I finally went in
today and took a look, and lo and behold, all the AutoCorrect defaults are
set to the parenthesis.

Anyone have any idea how I might have done this, seeing as how I haven't
opened this dialog box in ages? And, is there a way to restore the defaults?
I can't see any possibility to change them, so it looks like my only option
is to delete each one then manually re-add it (and since many of them convert
to symbols, this would be a huge pain). Is there an easier way?

(I'll also mention, although I guess it's probably unrelated, that I've been
having this problem with other Word features - things just seem to turn off
and I can't get them back. I've used Word for years and have never had this
problem on another computer. I work on a laptop, with Office XP, but I don't
type on my laptop - I have a keyboard plugged in instead - so it's not a
matter of hitting the track pad. It's really driving me crazy. The other
feature I've lost, that I can think of off the top of my head, is one I've
posted about before with no resolution - I used to be able to double-click on
the table selector at the top left corner of a table to select the entire
table. Now, double-clicking on the table selector actually selects the
previous paragraph - argh! In whose world would THAT be a useful feature?)

TIA for any advice you can provide (and thanks for allowing me a mini-rant)...
Jen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The easiest way to get all the AutoCorrect entries back to the default
settings is to rename Normal.dot and restart Word, to force it to
build a new Normal.dot. This is described in "Creating a new
Normal.dot from scratch" in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ocNotBlank.htm. Before
doing this, also read the part about salvaging customizations.

This process may also cure some or all of the other problems, because
they all sound like a slightly damaged Normal.dot may be at fault.

Following the suggestions at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm would also
help to keep the puzzle factor at a minimum. :-)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:56:01 -0800, Jen
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That would restore AutoText, but would it restore (unformatted) AutoCorrect
entries as well? They are stored in .acl files, and it sounds like this one
is damaged.

wrote:

I almost never go into thye AutoCorrect dialog box (certainly haven't
recently), but I do use some of the defaults there - such as replacing

"--"
[...]

so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You're right, the default .acl file wouldn't be restored by that
procedure.

The official method of restoring the .acl files to the
new-installation condition is in the section "Is the AutoCorrect file
causing the problem?" at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822646.
However, the following should work and is quicker:

Find and copy the MSO.ACL file at
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033 (for Office 2000) or
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\1033 (for Office XP) or
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\1033 (for Office 2003).
[Note: the 1033 refers to the English(US) language files. For other
languages and dialects there are other numbers, such as 2057 for
English(UK). See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921617 for a list.]

Go to the folder
C:\Documents and Settings\your name\Application
Data\Microsoft\Office (for any of the versions). Rename the file
MSO1033.ACL to something else, say MSO1033.oldACL. Paste in the
MSO.ACL file from the Program Files path, and rename it as
MSO1033.ACL.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:33:29 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

That would restore AutoText, but would it restore (unformatted) AutoCorrect
entries as well? They are stored in .acl files, and it sounds like this one
is damaged.

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jen Jen is offline

Thanks so much - I started with a new Normal.dot and it has solved both
problems (the table one and the AutoCorrect one). I'm not sure I followed the
whole discussion about .acl files or why I would need to restore mine, but it
seems to be working just with that one simple step, so I don't want to mess
with it too much!

It does make sense that I may have messed up my Normal.dot somewhere along
the line. I've been learning about Styles over the last several months and
have been creating a lot of custom templates. I don't believe I've made any
changes to my Normal.dot, but I could have inadvertently done something. The
good news is that my Normal.dot wasn't customized, since I was creating new
templates for all my documents rather than using the Normal one. At least I
won't lose a lot of work in starting over with the Normal.dot template.

Thanks again for your help! You've saved me from certain insanity!
Jen

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

You are correct Suzanne but I think in this case the AutoCorrect entries
giving grief are formatted (e.g. the arrow the OP mentioned) and the left
parenthesis is probably a placeholder for a symbol somehow misrepresented so
some sort of corruption of normal.dot seems likely.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
That would restore AutoText, but would it restore (unformatted)
AutoCorrect
entries as well? They are stored in .acl files, and it sounds like this
one
is damaged.

so
all may benefit.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

So it would appear from the fact that the OP was able to solve the problem
by flushing Normal.dot.

"Tony Jollans" My forename at my surname dot com wrote in message
You are correct Suzanne but I think in this case the AutoCorrect entries
giving grief are formatted (e.g. the arrow the OP mentioned) and the left
parenthesis is probably a placeholder for a symbol somehow misrepresented

so
some sort of corruption of normal.dot seems likely.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
That would restore AutoText, but would it restore (unformatted)
AutoCorrect
entries as well? They are stored in .acl files, and it sounds like this
one
is damaged.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mary[_2_] Mary[_2_] is offline

Unfortunately my "question" button does not open for dialog. This
information is very good, but my problem is similar but somewhat different--

My granddaughter "played" on my keyboard when I was out of the room. Now
ALL the autocorrects that I have put into my Office 2000 Word have
disappeared! Is there any way that I can retrieve them or are they lost
forever?
--
Mary

"Jen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

One possibility is that your granddaughter inadvertently changed the
language applied to text. Look at the status bar; if the language is
incorrect, changing it back should restore the AutoCorrect entries too.
(For more on language formatting, see
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mary[_2_] Mary[_2_] is offline

Thank you for your answer; however, that apparently was not the problem.
Any other suggestions? Thanks for any help you can give me--I've lost a ton
of "stuff".
--
Mary

"Jen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, if the AutoCorrect entries were actually deleted, there isn't much
you can do, I'm afraid.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP