Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Chrism Chrism is offline

Default Caption at top of each page when table is more than one page

I have some very long tables that spill onto a second page in Word 2003. I
don't know how to put the caption at the top of the 2nd page (e.g. Table 5.
Rare plant species (cont).) It won't let you type there, because it thinks it
is in the middle of a table, but there must be some way to do it
automatically?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

I assume that what you refer to as the caption is the first table row and
that you want to repeat the first table row as a heading on the following
page(s) too. If this is correct, do this:
Click in the first table row. Then select Table Heading Rows Repeat.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Chrism" wrote:

I have some very long tables that spill onto a second page in Word 2003. I
don't know how to put the caption at the top of the 2nd page (e.g. Table 5.
Rare plant species (cont).) It won't let you type there, because it thinks it
is in the middle of a table, but there must be some way to do it
automatically?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Chrism Chrism is offline

That might work, but I think I have already used up that first-row-repeat
option by repeating the titles of each of the columns on each page.

This is a caption that I created by right clicking the table and then
choosing Caption. I believe I have to use this Caption option so that the
title of the table will appear in my Table of Tables later?

Thanks,
Chrism

"Chrism" wrote:

I have some very long tables that spill onto a second page in Word 2003. I
don't know how to put the caption at the top of the 2nd page (e.g. Table 5.
Rare plant species (cont).) It won't let you type there, because it thinks it
is in the middle of a table, but there must be some way to do it
automatically?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

More than one row can be a repeated heading. So you can add a row at
the top of the table, remove its borders, merge the cells, and then
place the caption inside it (just use cut and paste). Then check the
Heading Rows Repeat option for this row, too.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lene Fredborg" wrote:

I assume that what you refer to as the caption is the first table

row and
that you want to repeat the first table row as a heading on the

following
page(s) too. If this is correct, do this:
Click in the first table row. Then select Table Heading Rows

Repeat.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg
DocTools - Denmark
www.thedoctools.com
Document automation - add-ins, macros and templates for Microsoft

Word

"Chrism" wrote:

I have some very long tables that spill onto a second page in

Word 2003. I
don't know how to put the caption at the top of the 2nd page

(e.g. Table 5.
Rare plant species (cont).) It won't let you type there, because

it thinks it
is in the middle of a table, but there must be some way to do it
automatically?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
George George is offline

Chrism,

A second way is to use this heading in the header section of your document.

George

Ο χρήστης "Chrism" *γγραψε:

I have some very long tables that spill onto a second page in Word 2003. I
don't know how to put the caption at the top of the 2nd page (e.g. Table 5.
Rare plant species (cont).) It won't let you type there, because it thinks it
is in the middle of a table, but there must be some way to do it
automatically?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

But this assumes, of course, that the table is in a separate Word
section. Also, captions include SEQ fields which cannot be used in
headers or footers (unless they include the \c switch which repeats
the current number in the body of the text).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"George" wrote in message
Chrism,

A second way is to use this heading in the header section of your

document.

George