Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
MitchellWMA MitchellWMA is offline

Default Can we convert text to tables that make 1 cell per word/space?

Is there a way to go a step further when we select/convert to table?

I'd like to create some puzzles but for that need any quotation to be
converted to a format where every letter and space in the quote
paragraph to be converted to a table so that each letter and each
space between words ends up occupying its own cell. Can this be done,
somehow?

I tried all the options under the Table pulldown but that didn't do
what is needed. tia

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Mitchell,

MS Excel would probably be a better tool for this. It has a Text-to-Columns tool (under data|Text-to-Columns) that you could use in
fixed-width mode to put each character into a separate cell. If need be, you could then paste the Excel 'table' back into Word.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"MitchellWMA" wrote in message oups.com...
| Is there a way to go a step further when we select/convert to table?
|
| I'd like to create some puzzles but for that need any quotation to be
| converted to a format where every letter and space in the quote
| paragraph to be converted to a table so that each letter and each
| space between words ends up occupying its own cell. Can this be done,
| somehow?
|
| I tried all the options under the Table pulldown but that didn't do
| what is needed. tia

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
MitchellWMA MitchellWMA is offline

Not quite as automated as I would have liked but this is definitely a
big step in the right direction, esp. when I split the test text into
three rows instead of all on one line, and then copied that into Excel
before doing the data text-to-columns move. Again, too bad it
appears it can't be automated. I was hoping for a macro in Word that
would do what I did but in 1 second for a minute! But I'm further
ahead than before with a way to convert text to a puzzle base. The
difficulty with creating puzzles is that there is quite a bit of trial
and error so even this speeded-up process is going to get old fast,
but as I said, I'm further ahead than before.

Thanks!