Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Peter K Peter K is offline

Default Booklet printing in Word 2007

I am trying to print a telephone & address directory in booklet formwith two
pages per sheet.

The forms which I use are in Portrait orientation.

On Page Layout Custom Margins Page Layout, the moment I select under
Multiple pages 'Book fold', the paper orientation on that page switched to
Landscape.

I trie to trick it by changing the paper size on the Page tab. That made
everything look right on the screen, but, when printing it results in
complete nonsense. That is actually to be expected, because Iafter changing
the paper size, I'd really have to feed 11 in wide paper!!!

How can one do booklet printing in portrait form?

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mason C Mason C is offline

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 10:49:02 -0800, Peter K
wrote:

I am trying to print a telephone & address directory in booklet formwith two
pages per sheet.

The forms which I use are in Portrait orientation.

On Page Layout Custom Margins Page Layout, the moment I select under
Multiple pages 'Book fold', the paper orientation on that page switched to
Landscape.

I trie to trick it by changing the paper size on the Page tab. That made
everything look right on the screen, but, when printing it results in
complete nonsense. That is actually to be expected, because Iafter changing
the paper size, I'd really have to feed 11 in wide paper!!!

How can one do booklet printing in portrait form?

Any help would be appreciated.

You are likely to run into the bug that compelled me to
return Word 2007 (Office) for credit:

http://blogs.3sharp.com/Blog/dougv/a...2/03/2675.aspx

Daiya Mitchell told us of that link.

Mason C
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Peter K Peter K is offline

No, I have forms from Day Timer, which in portrait layout have two logical
pages per physical page, to go into an adddress & telephone booklet, that
fits into my daytimer notebook. The logical pages are roughly 6 1/2 in high
& 3 in wide. I printed it several years ago in Office XP and did not
encounter that problem. Before that I used Word Perfect, which has a booklet
printing option.

Peter K

"Peter K" wrote in message
I am trying to print a telephone & address directory in booklet formwith

two
pages per sheet.

The forms which I use are in Portrait orientation.

On Page Layout Custom Margins Page Layout, the moment I select under
Multiple pages 'Book fold', the paper orientation on that page switched to
Landscape.

I trie to trick it by changing the paper size on the Page tab. That made
everything look right on the screen, but, when printing it results in
complete nonsense. That is actually to be expected, because Iafter

changing
the paper size, I'd really have to feed 11 in wide paper!!!

How can one do booklet printing in portrait form?

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Instead of using "Book fold," why not select "2 pages per sheet" in the same
dropdown? This will allow you to set up the pages manually.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You let Word use the settings it wants. It *needs* the sheet to be
landscape. You get two portrait pages on one landscape sheet, which is

what
you want, right?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Peter K" wrote in message
I am trying to print a telephone & address directory in booklet

formwith
two
pages per sheet.

The forms which I use are in Portrait orientation.

On Page Layout Custom Margins Page Layout, the moment I select under
Multiple pages 'Book fold', the paper orientation on that page

switched to
Landscape.

I trie to trick it by changing the paper size on the Page tab. That

made
everything look right on the screen, but, when printing it results in
complete nonsense. That is actually to be expected, because Iafter

changing
the paper size, I'd really have to feed 11 in wide paper!!!

How can one do booklet printing in portrait form?

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Peter K Peter K is offline

Sorry, but that does not work. One can no longer set up the two pages side
by side. The gutter margin cannot be inside any longer, as it should be & it
appears one can only have one page on top of the other. Also, it appears
that the ultimate rearranging of pages for a booklet is lost. (First & last
page on first sheet, pages 2 & last - 1 on the other side of that sheet,
etc.)

I'd hate to reverse to the fairly easy solution from 15 years ago, save the
file in an earlier Word format, reinstall Word Perfect 7, which I still have
& import & print it there.

Peter K

"Peter K" wrote in message
I am trying to print a telephone & address directory in booklet

formwith
two
pages per sheet.

The forms which I use are in Portrait orientation.

On Page Layout Custom Margins Page Layout, the moment I select under
Multiple pages 'Book fold', the paper orientation on that page

switched to
Landscape.

I trie to trick it by changing the paper size on the Page tab. That

made
everything look right on the screen, but, when printing it results in
complete nonsense. That is actually to be expected, because Iafter
changing
the paper size, I'd really have to feed 11 in wide paper!!!

How can one do booklet printing in portrait form?

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You either want a booklet or you don't. If you want a booklet, go with "Book
fold." Or you can use "2 pages per sheet" and print the pages in the desired
order. Note that you don't need to use a gutter margin; you can use the
built-in mirror margins; just be aware that in "Book fold" they are reversed
(a bug), so you need to set them the opposite of what you want.

"Peter K" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Peter K Peter K is offline

I definitely need a booklet. My forms require portrait orientation, The two
pages per sheet appear like two 'columns' side by side about 2.6 in wide and
6 in high.

That has never been a problem in Word Perfect nor in several add on
softwares. I also got it to work with Office XP. It was laborious but,
finally worked. Unfortunately, I did not keep notes & I only do this once
every three to four years.

In Word 2007 (otherwise a great program):
If I try Book fold, it forces me to use Landscape. If I trick it, inverting
the paper size, everything looks fine on the screen, but, of course, it
cannot print since in effect I specified 11 in wide paper to be fed.

If I go to '2 pages per sheet' & Portait, the two pages are on top of each
other & not side by side.

Specifying 'mirror margins' one gets one page per sheet.

Is there any 'work around' you areaware of?

Peter K

"Peter K" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

What size paper are you actually trying to print to?

If you are printing on 8.5 x 11 that you are then trimming to the correct
size. You can use the bookfold option, but note, illogically it is the
inside margin that you will need to increase to move the text in from the
edges of the paper so that when you trim it to the 6" wide (2 x 3") that you
mentioned. the text will be in the right place.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You either want a booklet or you don't. If you want a booklet, go with
"Book
fold." Or you can use "2 pages per sheet" and print the pages in the
desired
order. Note that you don't need to use a gutter margin; you can use the
built-in mirror margins; just be aware that in "Book fold" they are
reversed
(a bug), so you need to set them the opposite of what you want.

so
all may benefit.

&

"Peter K" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In order to get two pages 3" x 6.5" printed side-by-side on a portrait sheet
you will have to use Word's Columns feature or a table, adjusting the
margins accordingly. But you'll still need to trim them. It seems to me
that, given you're going to have to trim them anyway, it would be easier to
print them on a landscape sheet (using "Book fold" or "2 pages per sheet")
and then trim. If you allow all the vertical trim at the bottom margin, then
you'll just need to trim 2" from the long side of the sheet (short edge of
the pages). The two 3" pages will be centered on the page, so you'll need to
trim 2.5" from the left and right. Since you want the text area to be 2.6" x
6", you'll need to set a 0.25" top margin and 2.25" bottom margin. As Doug
indicated, Word incorrectly swaps the Inside and Outside margins if you're
using "Book fold," so, assuming you want equal side margins, you'll need a
0.2" Outside margin (you may get a warning that this is "outside the
printable area") and a 2.7" Inside margin.