Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ivory_kitten ivory_kitten is offline

Default automatic date changes

I have a document template which is opened by an external database which then
merges the contents of the template and the info from the database in to a
new document.

My question is how can I have the "createdate" field show the date of the
creation of the new document, not the template?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi ivory_kitten,

You might have more success with a SAVEDATE field, which shows the date the document was last saved. Just be careful not to -resave
the document at a later date unless you want the date to change. Even that can be overcome by selecting the date and pressing
Ctrl-F11 to lock the field, or Ctrl-Shift-F9 to convert it to normal text.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"ivory_kitten" wrote in message news
I have a document template which is opened by an external database which then
merges the contents of the template and the info from the database in to a
new document.

My question is how can I have the "createdate" field show the date of the
creation of the new document, not the template?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ivory_kitten ivory_kitten is offline

i can't use those fields because it would use the save date from the template
before it merges in to the new document. For some reason it does not carry
any fields (except DATE) or coding across, I think that is done by the
database.

I've added a field to my userform and put some code in so that it
automatically puts the date the userform is initialized (i.e. today)

With CurrentDate
.Value = Now
.Text = Format(CurrentDate, "dddd, d MMMM yyyy")
End With

and then on submission of the form it inserts the result in to the bookmark.

With ActiveDocument
.Bookmarks("CurrentDate").Range.InsertBefore CurrentDate
End With

Seems to be working okay so far!

Thanks for offering a suggestion though!

"macropod" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi ivory_kitten,

Your last post leads me to believe you're not using a Word template at all, but an ordinary document. In that case, a SAVEDATE field
will update once the merged document has been saved, and a CREATEDATE field will update if the document is saved using File|Save As.
You may need to close & re-open the document, do a print preview or print after saving to see the updated output.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"macropod" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ivory_kitten ivory_kitten is offline

Hi macropod, the document is called Quotation.dot (it is a template). The
user calls the template from within the database and it appears that the
database rather "opens" the template instead of creating a new document,
anyway my template call the userform on new or open, then the user enters the
data using the form and then the database merges all the information in to a
new document and it removes all fields (which is why createdate and save date
will not work for me). Odd though it leaves behind plain "DATE". Would be
hard to change the database software as it's been specially developed for our
industry.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi ivory_kitten,

You might have more success with a SAVEDATE field, which shows the date the document was last saved. Just be careful not
to -resave
the document at a later date unless you want the date to change. Even that can be overcome by selecting the date and pressing
Ctrl-F11 to lock the field, or Ctrl-Shift-F9 to convert it to normal text.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

news I have a document template which is opened by an external database which then