Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
[email protected] bobandvalg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Create a TOC from Tables

I have a multi-page document that has a one-line table comprising 4
cells at the top of each page (not header). The table content on each
page differs. The auto-generated TOC gives each cell its own line in
the TOC with the same page number.

I want to create a TOC that uses the content of all 4 cells in the row
for a single line in the TOC.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Robertgo, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

And to have the table of contents entry (created from the TC field)
update semi-automatically, you can bookmark the various parts and add
them in the TC field:

{ TC "{REF bm1 } { REF bm2 } { REF bm3 } { REF bm4 }" \l 1 }

Note that these nested fields cannot be inserted via the Mark Table of
Contents Entry dialog box; instead, you will have to press Ctrl+F9 to
insert each pair of field delimiters, { }. Then type the code. Press F9
to update. Use Alt+F9 to show/hide field codes. To show/hide the TC
fields, toggle the display of hidden text.

"bm1" etc. are bookmark names; you can use something more descriptive if
you prefer. \l 1 (lower-case L followed by the number 1) indicates that
the text should be at the top level in the TOC. You can type a different
number if you want it to be at a different level.

For a slightly different approach, using STYLEREF fields, see Suzanne's
article at http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Short of using TC fields, I don't know of any way to do this.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

ups.com...