Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike[_7_] Mike[_7_] is offline

Default Find & Replace does not find formatting

I have a text with words in English (Times New Roman font) and
Japanese (SimSun 12 pt font) and I am trying to change the font size
of SimSun.

I open Find and Replace dialog box, go to Format, select Font, SimSun,
12 pt for Find, and SimSun 16 pt for Replace. Nothing is typed in the
Find and Replace boxes. Then I click replace All and get the answer
that Word completed search and made 0 replacements.

The word just does not find the formatting.

Now, if I manually select any SimSun word, I see that it is SimSun
font in the Format toolbar. I click on SimSun font in the Format
toolbar again, as if I am going to replace the font. Nothing changes
in the text, but after I do it Find and Replace with the same settings
as above will find this particular SimSun word. If I do this SimSun
with SimSun replacement on another word, Find and Replace finds its
formatting too.

I can't figure out why Word does not find SimSun font in the original
text, i.e. text that is full of SimSun font words, that show up as
SimSun in Format toolbar.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

Find What Format SimSun
Format Font 12 point

Replace: Format Font SimSum
Format Font 8

Replace ALL

Make sure none of the Wildcards or checkboxes are checked.

Hope this helps.
"Mike" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike[_7_] Mike[_7_] is offline

Find What Format SimSun
Format Font 12 point

Replace: Format Font SimSum
Format Font 8

Replace ALL

Make sure none of the Wildcards or checkboxes are checked.

No, that does not help.
It is really weird:

(1) I type Times New Roman 12 in Find dialog box, and click on Find
next. Word higlights the entire paragraph, that has English (Times New
Roman) and Japanese (SimSun) sentences.

(2) I manually select every Japanese sentence in the same paragraph
and click on SimSun font. I repeat what I did in (1) and now Word
highlights only English sentences. Now Word understand, that Japanese
sentences are typed in SimSun font.

The trouble is that japanese sentences are typed in SimSun to begin
with. I highlight them and I see that it is SimSun. I don't
understand, why MS Word does not find it, and why it strats finding it
only after I manually "change" the font from SimSun to SimSun.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

You have to set Find: Font then Size of Font
Replace: twice Font then Size of Font

Worked for me fine.
"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike[_7_] Mike[_7_] is offline

On Aug 29, 5:52 pm, "Summer" wrote:
You have to set Find: Font then Size of Font
Replace: twice Font then Size of Font

Worked for me fine."Mike" wrote in message

Even the first part, Find (Ctrl-F), does not work until I highlight
the SimSun words (I see that they are indeed SimSun font)and click on
SimSun on the Format toolbar.

There may be something in the original text that prevents Word form
finding the formatting.