cavillas

Default Inserting differing paragraphs into one document

I wish to insert certain paragraphs into a main document but htey will differ
according to the type of document to produce. I would have a complete file
with document paragraphs in it, they will be named by a bookmark. I would
wish to insert a paragraph from a list when the document I am working on
requires it. The list would be in a seperate booklet or perhaps called from a
call up menu.

Any one who could hel please.
Jay Freedman

cavillas wrote:
I wish to insert certain paragraphs into a main document but htey
will differ according to the type of document to produce. I would
have a complete file with document paragraphs in it, they will be
named by a bookmark. I would wish to insert a paragraph from a list
when the document I am working on requires it. The list would be in a
seperate booklet or perhaps called from a call up menu.

Any one who could hel please.

That's exactly what AutoText is intended for. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/faqs/custom...n/AutoText.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/AutoTextList.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

cavillas

Thanks very much for your very quick reply.
Sorry to seem a bit hazy. What I really want is to store the paragraphs in
another sepearte document that might be on a server and to call them up as
and when necessary into a main document on the client machine. These
paragraphs would be conditional on whatever the author was setting up at the
time. It is mainly building specification and grant clauses and I don't know
wether autotext would be powerful enough.

I will try that suggestion and let you know how I get on with it though

All the best
Alf Cavill

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

cavillas wrote:
I wish to insert certain paragraphs into a main document but htey
will differ according to the type of document to produce. I would
have a complete file with document paragraphs in it, they will be
named by a bookmark. I would wish to insert a paragraph from a list
when the document I am working on requires it. The list would be in a
seperate booklet or perhaps called from a call up menu.

Any one who could hel please.

That's exactly what AutoText is intended for. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/faqs/custom...n/AutoText.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/AutoTextList.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Opinicus

"cavillas" wrote

paragraphs would be conditional on whatever the author was
setting up at the
time. It is mainly building specification and grant
clauses and I don't know
wether autotext would be powerful enough.

I use autotext a lot but I never thought of using it for the
purpose that Jay suggested. (I save the paragraphs I want in
separate files in a special "Merges" folder and I call them
by inserting them.) Just for the hell of it I just defined a
6,000 word text as an autotext "x". Now when I type x-F3 all
6,000 words are inserted into the document. I'm not sure
what you mean by "conditional" but for my purposes anyhow
autotext is certainly "powerful enough".

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

cavillas

Many thanks I will try it that way.
Never knew there were so many helpful people about.

Thanks a lot

Alf cavill

"Opinicus" wrote:

"cavillas" wrote

paragraphs would be conditional on whatever the author was
setting up at the
time. It is mainly building specification and grant
clauses and I don't know
wether autotext would be powerful enough.

I use autotext a lot but I never thought of using it for the
purpose that Jay suggested. (I save the paragraphs I want in
separate files in a special "Merges" folder and I call them
by inserting them.) Just for the hell of it I just defined a
6,000 word text as an autotext "x". Now when I type x-F3 all
6,000 words are inserted into the document. I'm not sure
what you mean by "conditional" but for my purposes anyhow
autotext is certainly "powerful enough".

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Daiya Mitchell

AutoText is plenty powerful, but might not suit you as it is not designed
for changing text. If the specifications you want to insert will themselves
be constantly edited and changing, it won't work. AutoText will continue to
insert the text that you used when you set up the original AutoText.

But if the specification always stays the same, AutoText will be great.

If you always want to insert the text of DocumentA but DocA itself is going
to be edited and changed, and you always want the most up-to-date version
when you create a new DocB, Suzanne's suggestion of Insert | File is the way
to go.

On 3/3/05 9:45 AM, "cavillas" wrote:

Thanks very much for your very quick reply.
Sorry to seem a bit hazy. What I really want is to store the paragraphs in
another sepearte document that might be on a server and to call them up as
and when necessary into a main document on the client machine. These
paragraphs would be conditional on whatever the author was setting up at the
time. It is mainly building specification and grant clauses and I don't know
wether autotext would be powerful enough.

Graham Mayor

You can use an IncludeText field to insert the relevant bookmarked section -
if you can remember the bookmark names
You can store anything in autotext (or autocorrect for that matter). If this
isn't powerful enough for you, and it wll be, then there's always the superb
GhostTyper http://www.sc-data.de/ghosttyper/en/index.php3 which takes the
concepts a stage further and works in any application.