Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tech tech is offline

Default INSERT SYMBOLS SAME CORRUPTION IN MANY FILES

*on july 11 2006, around 90%(guessing) of my company work microsoft word
files, alot, on a dell computer, mysteriously and erroneously had all their
ok column checkmark symbols switched to the number 4. i didn't open open up
these many(hundreds possibly) files and do the insert symbol switch from
checkmark to 4, my company never uses 4 in this ok column. each of these
files-file pages contained many checkmarks in an ok column row box.
*my work company computer tech dept. suggested posting this because they
don't know what caused this and how to solve it, other than manually redoing
the insert symbol switch from 4 to checkmark in each file-file pages, which
would take way too much of my time and what is preventing this from happening
again? also, this corruption can only be seen on my computer, including
printouts, and not on anyone elses computer when their viewing or printing
out these files? i suggested reloading these files on my computer to my tech
dept., but the tech guy said that would be too much of a problem right
now-limited time etc. and would like to try to figure out this problem etc..
*is there one default symbol setting etc. when changed that would effect all
word files in one folder or on a computer-any explanations and answers would
be greatly appreciated-thanks very much-have a super week-godspeed ahead!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Did you download a security update on the 11th July? It is possible that
such an update affected the font you use.
Try rolling back Windows to before that date.