Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Donn Donn is offline

Default multilevel lists

I want to make an outline to accompany a lecture. I want to use the I.A.1.
list from the library but it does not continue the outline when I hit enter.
Some of the other forms work but this one does not. What am I doing wrong?
--
Donn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Donn Donn is offline

So how do I get it to stay in that style? Do I have to go back up and hit the
button again each time?
--
Donn

"Donn" wrote in message
I want to make an outline to accompany a lecture. I want to use the I.A.1.
list from the library but it does not continue the outline when I hit
enter.
Some of the other forms work but this one does not. What am I doing wrong?
--
Donn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can modify the heading styles to use the "Style for following paragraph"
that you want. For example, assuming that you are using Word 2007, you can
right-click Heading 1 in the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S) and then choose
Modify from the context menu. Change the "Style for following paragraph"
option to Heading 1, and click OK. Repeat the procedure for the other
heading styles as needed.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Donn" wrote in message
I want to make an outline to accompany a lecture. I want to use the
I.A.1.
list from the library but it does not continue the outline when I hit
enter.
Some of the other forms work but this one does not. What am I doing
wrong?
--
Donn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Donn Donn is offline

Thanks Stefan. That works for the first heading but not for subpoints. e.g.
if I am two or three subpoints into the outline a. does not go to b. but
instead thinks I want to start a new paragraph. How do I keep it functioning
consistently throughout the various subpoints? Yes, I am working with Word
2007.
--
Donn

"Donn" wrote in message
I want to make an outline to accompany a lecture. I want to use the
I.A.1.
list from the library but it does not continue the outline when I hit
enter.
Some of the other forms work but this one does not. What am I doing
wrong?
--
Donn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If numbering is correctly linked to styles, you should be able to set the
"Style for following paragraph" to Heading 1 for the Heading 1 style, to
Heading 2 for the Heading 2 style, etc. That should do the trick.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Donn" wrote in message
I want to make an outline to accompany a lecture. I want to use the
I.A.1.
list from the library but it does not continue the outline when I
hit
enter.
Some of the other forms work but this one does not. What am I doing
wrong?
--
Donn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Donn Donn is offline

Thanks for being so patient with me. I guess I am too obtuse to understand
what is happening. How do I check to see if "numbering is correctly linked to
styles?" Do I go to the same "Modify" screen to set the other headings? It
does not seem to work for me.
--
Donn

"Donn" wrote in message
I want to make an outline to accompany a lecture. I want to use the
I.A.1.
list from the library but it does not continue the outline when I
hit
enter.
Some of the other forms work but this one does not. What am I doing
wrong?
--
Donn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"Donn" wrote in message
news
Thanks for being so patient with me. I guess I am too obtuse to understand
what is happening. How do I check to see if "numbering is correctly linked
to styles?"

If, when you set up the numbering, you did choose the "I Heading 1
A Heading 2 1 Heading 3" built-in format, each numbering level should be
associated with a paragraph style. With the insertion point in a numbered
item, you should be able to tell by looking at Home tab | Multilevel List
(under "Current List").

Note that if it turns out that you have to set up numbering again, you can
do so quickly by choosing the "I Heading 1 A Heading 2 1 Heading 3" format
again. Or you can place the insertion point in the first top-level item of
the list (in this case, in the item numbered "I") and choose Home tab |
Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List; for assistance with the dialog
box, see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

Do I go to the same "Modify" screen to set the other headings? It
does not seem to work for me.

Each style has its own Modify Style dialog box, so for (say) Heading 2, you
can right-click the Heading 2 entry in the Styles pane and choose Modify. Or
click the Manage Styles button in the Styles pane and use the Edit tab of
the Manage Styles dialog box to edit the styles one at a time.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

--