Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Trish Trish is offline

Default Word 2003 - inserting files

Hi, I am using Word 2003. Whenever I try to insert another file, it takes
all my formatting away, particularly if I am inserting a file incorporating
tables.

Also, as a slightly separate question, I have problems trying to insert an
Excel file into Word. I know I can do it as an object, but I want to insert
these files so that they become a normal part of my main document and
therefore editable.

Many thanks. Trish :-)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"Trish" wrote in message
Hi, I am using Word 2003. Whenever I try to insert another file, it
takes
all my formatting away, particularly if I am inserting a file
incorporating
tables.

How are you inserting the file? If you are using Insert | File, the inserted
information will adjust to the styles of the target document; this is normal
behavior.

To preserve the formatting of the source document, use Edit | Paste, and
click the Paste Options button, and choose to "Keep Source Formatting."

(If you are not seeing the Paste Options button, make sure to activate it in
Tools | Options, Edit tab.)

Also, as a slightly separate question, I have problems trying to insert an
Excel file into Word. I know I can do it as an object, but I want to
insert
these files so that they become a normal part of my main document and
therefore editable.

Many thanks. Trish :-)

You should be able to insert the data as a table. Note that an inserted or
embedded object will not span pages.

Alternatively, copy the data, use Edit | Paste Special and choose to insert
as a link.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP