Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ewegner

Default How do I change the link update method?

Background:
Microsoft Office Professional 2003 Word:
Insert --file -- insert file as a link
when going into edit --links
the method of updating is currently set to manually update. I want this to
be changed to Automatically update. This was working fine, however I noticed
that all of the changes that have been made to our documents have not been
changing across the board. I want to eliminate the "update now" step.

I reallize this is probably a registry change, however the company I work
for will do anything to get this to work. We use this method for many if not
all of our forms.

Calling support has left me with someone who didn't know what I was talking
about, so I had to explain it to them, and then have them help me. When I
asked if I could speak with someone who knew what I was talking about, I was
told "no". Please help!

Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?ZXdlZ25lcg==?=,

Insert --file -- insert file as a link
when going into edit --links
the method of updating is currently set to manually update. I want this to
be changed to Automatically update. This was working fine, however I noticed
that all of the changes that have been made to our documents have not been
changing across the board. I want to eliminate the "update now" step.

I reallize this is probably a registry change, however the company I work
for will do anything to get this to work. We use this method for many if not
all of our forms.

It always helps if you tell us which version(s) of Word are involved in a
problem. I can only guess that perhaps this Knowledge Base article (and the
registry entry it mentions) is relevant:

Prompt to update fields:
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=330079
WD: How the Behavior of the Word Fields Changes After You Install the Word
Update

Note: IncludeText fields (the thing that manages the link) have traditionally
been "auto update" with no "manual" option, even if Edit/Link doesn't show
this. The security change has changed that behavior, unless you set the
Registry key.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ewegner

Cindy,
Thank you for your post. We are using Microsoft Office Professional 2003
Word. I didn't see 2003 referenced in the link you provided. Would it still
pertain for this version?

Thank You

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?ZXdlZ25lcg==?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?ZXdlZ25lcg==?=,

Thank you for your post. We are using Microsoft Office Professional 2003
Word. I didn't see 2003 referenced in the link you provided. Would it still
pertain for this version?

Yes, it pertains :-) But you need to use 11 (the version number) instead of 10 or 9
when creating the Registry key.

[...]

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ewegner

Cindy,
Unfortunately this did not change anything when we tested it. It still
doesn't update automatically at open.

Any other suggestions?
To recap:
Microsoft Office Professional 2003-Word
The Process:
Insert --file -- insert file as a link
when going into edit --links
the method of updating is currently set to manually update.

Goal: To make the linked items update automatically at open, rather than
click "update now".

I have tried updating the registry with the FieldCalcSecurityLevel that was
mentioned, but it didn't change anything, other than make my computer open
Word slower.

What is the safest way to delete this Registry Key?

Thank you!

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?ZXdlZ25lcg==?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ewegner

I would like to add more information just in case it makes a difference.

According to the "About Microsoft Word Section" our version is: Microsoft
Office Word 2003 (11.6568.6568) SP2 Part of Microsoft Office Professional
Edition 2003

The operating system is Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2002 Service pack 2

"ewegner" wrote:

Cindy,
Thank you for your post. We are using Microsoft Office Professional 2003
Word. I didn't see 2003 referenced in the link you provided. Would it still
pertain for this version?

Thank You

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?ZXdlZ25lcg==?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Sorry, I was away for a while...

If the "fix" in this article didn't help, then I can only suggest you contact
Microsoft Support and work on the problem with them.

There is no way to explicitly set a linked document to update automatically -
it should be doing that already (and they always have, in my experience, until
this security thing was introduced).

You remove the key in the Registry by selecting it, then right-click and
choose Delete. There is no other ("safer") way to remove something from the
Registry.

Unfortunately this did not change anything when we tested it. It still
doesn't update automatically at open.

Any other suggestions?
To recap:
Microsoft Office Professional 2003-Word
The Process:
Insert --file -- insert file as a link
when going into edit --links
the method of updating is currently set to manually update.

Goal: To make the linked items update automatically at open, rather than
click "update now".

I have tried updating the registry with the FieldCalcSecurityLevel that was
mentioned, but it didn't change anything, other than make my computer open
Word slower.

What is the safest way to delete this Registry Key?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ewegner

Cindy,
Thank you for getting back to me. I had actually already requested support
from Microsoft. They instructed me that what I was requesting couldn't be
done.

I have found a way on my own though. It appears that when you insert the
file as a link, that the field code comes up as IncludeText. When I change
this to Link, and select the options: update fields automatically and insert
object as RTF, it does it properly. If you don't select RTF, it inserts the
file as an object, which doesn't allow for modification (such as taking out
rows of text).