Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ki Solo

Default How to fix Word 2004 Doc?

I have a multi-lingual unicode document that keeps crashing Word. I think the
problem is that it is some how tagged for many languages that are not in it.
When it tries to hyphenate it can't find the dictionaries and freezes up. If
I don't hyphenate it works better.

Is there a way to clean the Doc of these language tags? Through the Toolbox
I have clicked ignore but that doesn't help. Or is there some place to
download a large variety of foreign language dictionaries?

I am getting desparate. This is the last chapter of a book I am formatting
for some German professors. The other chapters are fine even though they have
Asian, Indian and European characters.

I would be very thankful of some ideas.

Best,

Ki
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daiya Mitchell

I assume you are on a Mac? Such questions are better directed to the
MacWord newsgroup.
See here for Google/Entourage gateway to newsgroups for MacWord, MacExcel,
and other MS programs for the Mac:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups

If you have further questions, *please* post them there rather than here,
updating what you've tried.

Your diagnosis re hyphenation sounds correct.

You can use Find & Replace to remove language tags--the Help topic "The
spelling or grammar checker checked only part of my document" details how,
if you search for the languages you want to remove and replace them with
another language.

You can't download any more proofing tools, but it's possible yours aren't
all installed. See if anything on this page helps--it explains how
languages work in MacWord:
http://daiya.mvps.org/spelling.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word