marksull

Default Page size for Visio backgrounds changes when Visio object in Word

Using Word 2003, Visio Prof 2003

I'm not sure if this a Word or Visio issue, but I thoguht this would be a
good place to start. Appologies up front if this ends up being a Visio issue.

I've created a Visio document with a single background and multiple
foregrounds. Each page size is set to "Pre-defined size", "Metric ISO", "A4".

If I then insert this saved document into a word document as an object
(Insert, Object, Create from file, select file, check "display as icon") and
then open the Visio document using the embedded object the BACKGROUND "page
setup" is always changed to "Custom size" and obviously differs from the
drawing page size. The end result is objects within the Background page are
realigned to the bottom left of the darwing page and the result is that the
foregrounds are no longer in alignment with the backgroud...hope that is
clear.

Any idea why the page size is changed to custom for the background only when
the document is opened from Word as an object?

Appreciate your time.

MS ~©¿©~

Shauna Kelly

Hi marksull

I don't think there's a straight-forward answer to your problem, and no-one
has come along to proffer an immediate solution.

I would try the following (meaning: I have no idea whether they will work,
but if I was experiencing this problem, these are the things I might do):

- try copying as a picture from Visio (in Word, Edit Paste Special and
choose Enhanced Metafile), although you will only be able to do one page at
a time

- make sure both Word and Visio have the same default printer, and that it
takes A4 paper (Word constantly interrogates the current printer to know
what is possible)

- update the printer driver from the website of the printer manufacturer

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word