Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WindsorFire

Default Bar code on non-mail merge envelopes

How do I get a bar code (to facilitate mailing) on a sheet of 5160 labels?
Or how do I get a mail merge labels document to show the same name and
address on every label?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

There is a barcode field. You'll need to incorporate it in your merge
template testing for the zip code field.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"WindsorFire" wrote in message
How do I get a bar code (to facilitate mailing) on a sheet of 5160 labels?
Or how do I get a mail merge labels document to show the same name and
address on every label?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

In order to use the barcode field on labels the barcode must be able to
physically fit on the label or it doesn't display.
As for the second part of your question. Do you want to merge a label
document, one page per record or do you simply want to create a load of
labels for one address?
If the former, change the label document type to form letter and remove all
the {Next} fields from the cells. You will then get a page or labels per
record.
If the latter add the address in question to the label wizard address box
and check the full page of same label check box and 'new document'. You can
print that new document as many times as you need labels.

WindsorFire wrote:
How do I get a bar code (to facilitate mailing) on a sheet of 5160
labels? Or how do I get a mail merge labels document to show the same
name and address on every label?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WindsorFire

Thank you, Mr. Mayor. I find that whenever I attempt to create labels in the
"label" function of "Envelopes & Labels", the "add bar code" is grayed out
and not offered as an option. Since I can't add the barcode through that
method, I have attempted to do it using merge instead, even though I want the
entire page of labels to be for one person. I will try your solution; thank
you very much.

While I "have your ear," I do not understand why MS does not allow you to
add the barcode in the "label" function. And while we're on the subject of
MS things I don't understand, given that the USPS has for many years now
asked that addresses on envelopes and labels be in all caps, why doesn't MS
have all caps as a default for envelopes and labels. I know that I can
change it, but my having to do so seems to me to fly in the face of what
automated features are all about.

Thank you again for your assistance.

WindsorFire wrote:
How do I get a bar code (to facilitate mailing) on a sheet of 5160
labels? Or how do I get a mail merge labels document to show the same
name and address on every label?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

I don't work for or speak for MS. Not everyone that uses Word lives in
America. All caps is not the standard here!

The default for envelopes is set in the Envelope Address paragraph style so
you can set there whatever you want.

Labels by default use the normal style in normal.dot.

I understand that Word does apparently offer the barcode option if the label
is large enough to accommodate the barcode. However we don't use barcodes in
my part of the world either and my PC is not set up for US English so I
cannot easily test it.

You don't need to run merge. Create a new document from the label wizard.
Add your name address and barcode field to the first label, then if it
displays as you want, copy and paste to all the other cells. The macro at
http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm will automate that.