Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dorisitaperu dorisitaperu is offline

Default Why can't I select text by left clicking and dragging?

I have Vista and Office 2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

What happens when you try? Do you see an error message?

If "Extend selection" displays on the status bar, click it to turn the
setting off (or press ESC on your keyboard).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"dorisitaperu" wrote in message
I have Vista and Office 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dorisitaperu dorisitaperu is offline

Thanks so much for your reply. It seems to be working now.... I opened the
same document again, where I had the problem, and it works. There was no
error msg. I didn't realize there is an extend selection option. where is it?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

What happens when you try? Do you see an error message?

If "Extend selection" displays on the status bar, click it to turn the
setting off (or press ESC on your keyboard).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"dorisitaperu" wrote in message
I have Vista and Office 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

To see it at all, first you have to right-click the status bar (the
bottom of the Word window) and click to check "Selection Mode" in the
list of options.

Now, if you press F8 one or more times, the words "Extend selection"
will appear on the status bar to show that the extend mode is turned
on. As Stefan said, you can click the words on the status bar or press
the ESC key to turn the mode off.

Extended selection mode is apparently little known. There are two ways
to use it:

- Press F8 the proper number of times. The first time just turns on
extended selection. The second press selects the entire word at the
cursor; the third press selects the current sentence, and additional
presses select the current paragraph, section, and entire document.

- If you press F8 only once, and then type any character on the
keyboard, the selection will extend from the current position to the
next occurrence of that character (if it occurs).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman