Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe Joe is offline

Default converting toolbar to Word 2007

i have a custom toolbar for Word 2002-2003. how do i get that toolbar to
show up on the ribbon in MS Word 2007? is there a change i can make to my
template that will do this automatically? I have to setup this toolbar for
ALOT of users.

I have tried to add the buttons thru the QAT, but, my commands do not show
up? ACK!! any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid Patrick Schmid is offline

Your old toolbar should show up in the Add-Ins tab. If you want to do
customize the Ribbon, I'd suggest reading my blog on how to do that.
Just a note, my examples don't work with B2TR right now, but I am
working on changing that.

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Joe" wrote in message
:

i have a custom toolbar for Word 2002-2003. how do i get that toolbar to
show up on the ribbon in MS Word 2007? is there a change i can make to my
template that will do this automatically? I have to setup this toolbar for
ALOT of users.

I have tried to add the buttons thru the QAT, but, my commands do not show
up? ACK!! any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Joe,

If you have created a custom toolbar in a document or template in a pre Word 2007 edition (not customizing a built in Word toolbar)
and you then open that document or use that template as an add-in in Word 2007 then the toolbar should appear as a ribbon group
within the 'Add-ins' tab of MS Word 2007 (check your security and user settings in Word 2007's options if it does not).

You won't be able to float or locate the toolbar to another location. Another option is to explore the RibbonX XML customizations
MS is presenting for Office 2007's Ribbons that can allow you to add your own groups and tabs.

===========

--
I hope this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office system products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends

LINKS to the 2007 Office System

1. Free MS Office 2007 book from MS Press, 213 pages:
http://microsoft.com/learning/office...oksfrommspress

2.. Office 2007 Beta 2 Online Test Drive, Downloadable beta,
e-learning courses, doucmentation and movies:
http://microsoft.com/office/preview

3. Send 2007 Office System Beta 2 feedback directly to the MS Office 2007 product team with this feedback tool:
http://sas.office.microsoft.com/

4. Try the 2007 OfficeOnline preview website , without Office2007

a. Install the ActiveX access control
http://office.microsoft.com/search/r...XT101650581033

b. then visit
http://officebeta.iponet.net

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe Joe is offline

Thanks for both of replies. I already see my toolbar as an "Add-in"

I would like to add a group and some buttons to the QAT. That way, my
functions are only one click away instead of two. Also, i have done alot of
custom toolbars and need to know how to add groups of buttons to the QAT and
make them visable. I automate the installation and have just always added a
global template. Can you do that thru Global Templates like in 2003?

I am waiting for Patricks update. Great site!

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid Patrick Schmid is offline

Keep your hands off the QAT
The QAT is a very tempting place to put things, because it's present all
the time. However, it is actually difficult to put things there without
any user interaction, and most templates, add-ins should NEVER put
anything there by themselves. You should read my UI style guide at
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/06/09/20 (this one should be up to date as
it doesn't have any examples) to get an idea of how different the Ribbon
really is from a menu/toolbar system. Ideally, you can fit your
templates/add-ins nicely into the Ribbon without utilizing the QAT at
all.

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

"Joe" wrote in message
:

Thanks for both of replies. I already see my toolbar as an "Add-in"

I would like to add a group and some buttons to the QAT. That way, my
functions are only one click away instead of two. Also, i have done alot of
custom toolbars and need to know how to add groups of buttons to the QAT and
make them visable. I automate the installation and have just always added a
global template. Can you do that thru Global Templates like in 2003?

I am waiting for Patricks update. Great site!

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Joe,

QAT customizations are stored in a .Ribbonx XML file for each app which Word and the other Office apps look for on startup. Being
an XML text file it's not difficult to change content of the QAT once you know what to type in g, but how would your user know
which buttons on the QAT are the ones for your things, vs those others or the users may have added (i.e. there's no group labeling).

While the Add-in Toolbar is 'two clicks' away, you can still assign keyboard shortcuts to items in your toolbar and the basic
'theory' for the Ribbon is that the user would not need to 'remember' where things are, they'd always be in one, reliable, location
(at least most of the time g).

============
"Joe" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe Joe is offline

Thanks again Patrick and Bob.

I think i'll just simply try for adding a seperate section to the ribbon
with my add-in name. that way they know where to click on the "name" instead
of the "add-in" Plus, i can simply add customized toolbars to that new
section.

any suggestions on how to go about simply adding a new section to the ribbon?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

You mean a new tab?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

"Joe" wrote in message
:

Thanks again Patrick and Bob.

I think i'll just simply try for adding a seperate section to the ribbon
with my add-in name. that way they know where to click on the "name" instead
of the "add-in" Plus, i can simply add customized toolbars to that new
section.

any suggestions on how to go about simply adding a new section to the ribbon?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe Joe is offline

Hi Patrick,

yes, like the "Add-in" tab, but, have a unique name like "Joe's add-in" I
want to keep the functions of my add-in seperate from other add-ins.

I assume that is what you are trying to accomplish in your blog? You said
it's not currently compatible with the most recent release of the office
beta? i'll keep checking back to see when you have it updated.
thanks

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

You mean a new tab?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

"Joe" wrote in message
:

Thanks again Patrick and Bob.

I think i'll just simply try for adding a seperate section to the ribbon
with my add-in name. that way they know where to click on the "name" instead
of the "add-in" Plus, i can simply add customized toolbars to that new
section.

any suggestions on how to go about simply adding a new section to the ribbon?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

The RibbonX is unchanged in B2TR from what it was in B2. So that still
is right. The stuff that isn't correct are all the idMso's. So if you
want to use MS-controls, groups, tabs, you need to look them up. There
is a link to the updated control ID list on my B2TR issues post.
For a new tab, look e.g. at http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/06/02/17
You'd then say within tabs:
tab id="myNewTab" label="my new tab"
group id="Mynewgroup" label="my new group"
Here you'd throw your controls
/group
/tab

Keep in mind that you should have at least 3 groups on one tab and that
with a 1024x768 resolution, the tab should be at least 70-80% full. If
you can't do that, then you shouldn't make your own tab.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

"Joe" wrote in message
:

Hi Patrick,

yes, like the "Add-in" tab, but, have a unique name like "Joe's add-in" I
want to keep the functions of my add-in seperate from other add-ins.

I assume that is what you are trying to accomplish in your blog? You said
it's not currently compatible with the most recent release of the office
beta? i'll keep checking back to see when you have it updated.
thanks

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

You mean a new tab?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]