MGB

Default Word Document Type

Can I effectively lock a word doc so that it can only be opened in Word and
not Word perfect?
Charles Kenyon

If you save it with a password to open, I doubt it can be opened in Word
Perfect. You could make the password the document name.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"MGB" wrote in message
Can I effectively lock a word doc so that it can only be opened in Word
and
not Word perfect?

Timothy L

I know for a fact that...
OpenOffice.org 1.1.x (and earlier) and StarOffice 7 (and earlier) does NOT support password protected
Microsoft Word Documents.

OpenOffice.org 2.0 and StarOffice 8 DOES support password protected Microsoft Word Documents (using Microsoft
Office 97/2000 compatible password encryption).

If I were you, I'd download and install WordPerfect Office 12 Standard Edition Trial. Then attempt to see if
WordPerfect 12 will open the password protected Word Document.

WordPerfect Office 12 Standard Edition Trial
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...nloadContainer

If you change the encryption type to something better (i.e. "RC4, Microsoft Enhanced Cryptographic Provider
v1.0"), I would be 99.9% sure that ONLY Microsoft Word would be able to open it.

Secure documents and files

Require a password to open or modify a file

Protect a document from unauthorized changes

Troubleshoot passwords

Troubleshoot security and password protection

Changes in encryption file properties in Office 2003 and Office 2002
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290112/

--
Please post all replies to the newsgroup for the benefit of others.
Requests for assistance by email will NOT be acknowledged!