Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
martin martin is offline

Default Date and time info not being saved in document versions - Word 200

I am using the Versions functionality with Word 2003, but dates and times are
not being stored with the versions; however, they ARE stored if I clear the
'Remove personal information from file properties on save' on the Security
tab of the Options dialog box on the Tools menu.

My problem is that I DO want personal information removed, but I ALSO want
my versions date and time stamped. Is this a bug? Or can I indeed have my
cake and eat it? )

Thanks in advance for any help
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

It is not a bug, it's by design. The dates and times at which versions
are saved are considered part of the "personally identifiable
information" that the feature is meant to remove. You can have one or
the other.

That said, the Versions feature is one of the leading causes of
document corruption
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm), and you'd be
better served by saving each new version as a separate file. Then the
file's modification date/time would be preserved, even when personal
information is removed.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 15:10:02 -0700, Martin
wrote:

I am using the Versions functionality with Word 2003, but dates and times are
not being stored with the versions; however, they ARE stored if I clear the
'Remove personal information from file properties on save' on the Security
tab of the Options dialog box on the Tools menu.

My problem is that I DO want personal information removed, but I ALSO want
my versions date and time stamped. Is this a bug? Or can I indeed have my
cake and eat it? )

Thanks in advance for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

To aid the saving of each document to a separate file - see
http://www.gmayor.com/save_numbered_versions.htm