hww191

Default Missing letters in a Word document

A letter, almost always a capital letter at the start of a sentence, is not
input into the Word document although subsequent letters are. This is not
consistent as it happens irregularly. Can anyone help me with this please?
CyberTaz

Hello-

Do you mean that when you open an existing file some of the letters are
missing, or is this something that happens as you type new content?

If while typing (no offense) make sure you are pressing the Shift key rather
than the Ctrl key. Otherwise please post back with more detail, including
Word & Windows versions.

Regards |:)

"hww191" wrote:

A letter, almost always a capital letter at the start of a sentence, is not
input into the Word document although subsequent letters are. This is not
consistent as it happens irregularly. Can anyone help me with this please?

hww191

Hi,
Thanks for the swift response.

I am using Word 2003, part of the Office Professional Edition 2003. We are
running Windows XP Professional.

It isn't in an existing file, it is when I type in a new document. It can
happen when I am typing "Dear Mr Smith" - it can come out "ear Mr Smith" or
"Dear r Smith" for example. It can also miss a capital in the middle of a
sentence, e.g. "Thank you for your letter of 1 April" comes out "Thank you
for for your letter of april 1". This is even when using the Shift key (no
offence taken).

It also happens to other users of the software in the same location (I work
in an office). Others have complained, so I thought that I ought to try to
get assistance.

I would be gratful for any further assistance. Thanks.

Regards

"hww191" wrote:

A letter, almost always a capital letter at the start of a sentence, is not
input into the Word document although subsequent letters are. This is not
consistent as it happens irregularly. Can anyone help me with this please?

CyberTaz

Thanks for taking the previous post in the intended manner.

If it were only you having the problem, I would tend to suspect a faulty
keyboard. If others are having the same problem that could still be the
issue, but far less likely unless they are all of the same production lot...
it could be a defect.

Is this something that just started happening? If not, what may have
recently been changed?

Regards |:)

"hww191" wrote:

A letter, almost always a capital letter at the start of a sentence, is not
input into the Word document although subsequent letters are. This is not
consistent as it happens irregularly. Can anyone help me with this please?

hww191

Thanks again for the response.

There are a number of keyboards involved - the main ones seem to be HP,
model KB-0133. But I don't think the answer lies there as they are not
consistent letters - and the letters do appear in other parts of the same
document. (This is interesting, I have just tried to type the word "I" as
the start of the next sentence and it didn't work - does this page utilise
Word?). I would suspect that key failure would be more consistent?

I have been working here for just over 1 year - I noticed it when I first
arrived - and I understand that people had noticed it before, although I
can't pin it down to an event like software upgrades. I know our IT section
upgraded to Windows XP for all users in the last few weeks, but I was on this
operating system before that and it was an issue then.

"hww191" wrote:

A letter, almost always a capital letter at the start of a sentence, is not
input into the Word document although subsequent letters are. This is not
consistent as it happens irregularly. Can anyone help me with this please?

hww191

Hi Suzanne,
Thanks for the response.

I would agree as a first line of enquiry, but I am fairly heavy on the keys
normally. I have been experiencing this problem, along with others in the
building, for some time. We are using individual keyboards (one used by our
IT manager!) and so this should cut down hardware problems? The indication is
that it may be something else.

Regards

"hww191" wrote:

A letter, almost always a capital letter at the start of a sentence,

is not
input into the Word document although subsequent letters are. This is

not
consistent as it happens irregularly. Can anyone help me with this

please?

CyberTaz

FWIW, I'm thinking more along the lines of faulty SHIFT key
circuitry/mechanism, not individual character keys. It doesn't seem likely
that the OS or Apps are to blame. Does the problem occur in other software?

Regards |:)

"hww191" wrote:

A letter, almost always a capital letter at the start of a sentence, is not
input into the Word document although subsequent letters are. This is not
consistent as it happens irregularly. Can anyone help me with this please?

hww191

Hello again,
Thanks again for the speedy reply.

I don't know if it does - I will do some tests in Excel to see if it
happens. I don't remember if it does on previous occassions. I will also look
at getting another keyboard for a trial period.

I will get back to you - most probably next week now. Regards.

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
creating forms Fluffypink Microsoft Word Help 4 March 9th 05 04:17 PM
how can you create quickwords in MS Office Word 2003 Christine S Microsoft Word Help 4 February 8th 05 03:01 PM