Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe Palazzo Joe Palazzo is offline

Default tabs to line up with ruler

I can't seem to set a tab precisely on a ruler marker at 1", 2", 3", 4", 5",
6" even though I have the default tab stops set on the ruler markers at each
inch. The tabs default to a spot in between the ruler markers rather than
precisely on the ruler markers.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The increments are determined by the settings for the document grid. When
dragging the tab stop on the ruler, you can hold the Alt key to override the
grid. Alternatively, set the tab stops via the Tabs dialog box instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Joe Palazzo" wrote in message
I can't seem to set a tab precisely on a ruler marker at 1", 2", 3", 4",
5",
6" even though I have the default tab stops set on the ruler markers at
each
inch. The tabs default to a spot in between the ruler markers rather than
precisely on the ruler markers.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe Palazzo Joe Palazzo is offline

Stephan, thanks -- the Alt key is a good solution. However, I don't
understand why I can't place a tab exactly on a ruler increment. I have the
the tab stops set on the ruler increments via the Tabs dialog box as
suggested and still the tabs snaps to a position in between the ruler
increments.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The increments are determined by the settings for the document grid. When
dragging the tab stop on the ruler, you can hold the Alt key to override the
grid. Alternatively, set the tab stops via the Tabs dialog box instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Joe Palazzo" wrote in message
I can't seem to set a tab precisely on a ruler marker at 1", 2", 3", 4",
5",
6" even though I have the default tab stops set on the ruler markers at
each
inch. The tabs default to a spot in between the ruler markers rather than
precisely on the ruler markers.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Typically you can click anywhere on the Ruler to set a tab. It's in making
adjustments they will snap to the Drawing grid. You may want to check your
Document Grid settings. In Word 2007 you can find it on the Page Layout tab
in the Arrange group under Align. In previous versions, display the Drawing
toolbar, click Draw/Grid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The increments are determined by the settings for the document grid. When
dragging the tab stop on the ruler, you can hold the Alt key to override
the
grid. Alternatively, set the tab stops via the Tabs dialog box instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Joe Palazzo" wrote in message
I can't seem to set a tab precisely on a ruler marker at 1", 2", 3", 4",
5",
6" even though I have the default tab stops set on the ruler markers at
each
inch. The tabs default to a spot in between the ruler markers rather
than
precisely on the ruler markers.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe Palazzo Joe Palazzo is offline

Yep, that is the solution. Thanks, Beth.

Don't know what you mean by "post all follow-up questions to the newsgroup".

Joe

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The increments are determined by the settings for the document grid. When
dragging the tab stop on the ruler, you can hold the Alt key to override
the
grid. Alternatively, set the tab stops via the Tabs dialog box instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Joe Palazzo" wrote in message
I can't seem to set a tab precisely on a ruler marker at 1", 2", 3", 4",
5",
6" even though I have the default tab stops set on the ruler markers at
each
inch. The tabs default to a spot in between the ruler markers rather
than
precisely on the ruler markers.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"Please post all follow-up questions to the newsgroup" is part of Beth's
signature; it doesn't mean that you have done something wrong (if that's
what you are asking).