Taos Librarian

Default Setting preferences

In "envelopes and labelslabelsoptionsnew label" I would like to set the
custom measurements to 3 places after the decimal point instead of the
default setting of two places. How do a I do this?
Bob S

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:20:16 -0500, Jay Freedman
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:51:02 -0800, "Taos Librarian" Taos
wrote:

In "envelopes and labelslabelsoptionsnew label" I would like to set the
custom measurements to 3 places after the decimal point instead of the
default setting of two places. How do a I do this?

Sorry, it can't be done -- Word will always round your measurements to
two decimal places.

Actually, it can be done, quite easily. Just type in the measurements
to three places. Word will store the results correctly.

However, Word will round the display to two places. This has two
consequences. First, it may make you think that Word only stores the
result to two places.

Second, if you ever click OK on the dialog box again, for example
because you just wanted to look at the numbers or because you wanted
to change just one of them, you will be in trouble. That is because
Word will take the displayed two-pace numbers and assume that these
are correct, and will store these values.

If you just want to look at the numbers, use Cancel instead of OK. If
you want to change one thing, make sure that you re-enter all the
measurements correctly to as many places as you require before
pressing OK.

An alternative is to change your measurement units to "points" before
using the dialog. You can enter any measurement you want to the
nearest .05 point, which is plenty close enough. (There are 72 points
to the inch.)

Most of Word's measurement dialog boxes work this way, and will
respond to the same treatment. One exception is the drawing grid
dialog; it rounds on the input as well as on the display. For this one
there is no reasonable alternative to using points for entry.

Bob S