Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
LA LA is offline

Default 2nd header/footer taking up space

I have a different header/footer for the first page set up so that the
header/footer only shows on the first page ("first page header").
Unfortunately, the regular header that starts on the second page ("header")
takes up document space even when it is blank. It takes up just as much
space as the first page. I can't seem to delete the space it is taking up so
as to allow more use on the page by my document text. Help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

This will be determined by your top and header margins. The trick is to set
both as you want them to be on the second and subsequent pages and then make
the First Page Header larger; it will push the document body down. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/L....htm#MultiPage

http://word.mvps.org

"LA" wrote in message
I have a different header/footer for the first page set up so that the
header/footer only shows on the first page ("first page header").
Unfortunately, the regular header that starts on the second page
("header")
takes up document space even when it is blank. It takes up just as much
space as the first page. I can't seem to delete the space it is taking up
so
as to allow more use on the page by my document text. Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
LA LA is offline

Suzanne-

Thanks so much. I looked at your tutorial and tried to make it work but to
no avail. When I opened the 2nd page header/footer and went into Page Setup
and change the margins, it also changed the margins on the first page
header....

"LA" wrote in message
I have a different header/footer for the first page set up so that the
header/footer only shows on the first page ("first page header").
Unfortunately, the regular header that starts on the second page
("header")
takes up document space even when it is blank. It takes up just as much
space as the first page. I can't seem to delete the space it is taking up
so
as to allow more use on the page by my document text. Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You have still misunderstood. You don't change the margins. You set the
margins you want for the second page. The First Page Header can be as big as
you want it to be; it will push the document text down. You can create a
larger margin above it using Spacing Before on the header paragraph, and you
can use some Spacing After to make "breathing room" between the header and
the document content. It helps if you read all the content that precedes the
section I referred you to.

http://word.mvps.org