Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
walker

Default Spelling/Grammar seems to not be disabled

I have a document that's around 170 pages. I think I've disabled the
Spelling/Grammar checks via the methods shown below. But, virtually any time
I make changes to document, it appears that the Spelling/Grammar check is
being performed.

Whenever I make changes in the document, there's a book icon at the bottom
of the page in the status bar that shows pages turning with what appears to
be a pencil on them. When I put my pointer over that icon, it says "Spelling
and Grammar Status". While this check is occuring, Word is slower to respond.

I'd prefer to manually do the Spelling/Grammar check instead of having it
start automatically whenever I type something. Here's how I've attempted to
disable the automatic checking:

1. Tools -- Spelling and Grammar -- Options -- then uncheck "Check
spelling as you type" and uncheck "Check grammar as you type" and uncheck
"Check grammar with spelling".

2. Edit -- Select All, then Tools -- Language -- Set Language -- then
check the box beside "Do not check spelling or grammar". The box then
contains a green checkmark. Note that when I repeat this process, the box
beside "Do not check spelling or grammar" always contains a green box instead
of a green checkmark. So, it seems that possibly my selection isn't being
applied to *all* the text.

Any ideas how to disable completely the spelling and grammar checking?

Thanks very much.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Try using "Hide spelling/grammatical errors in this document." You'll still
be able to spell check explicitly, and the setting will not affect "Check
spelling as you type" in other documents.