Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Archer

Default Wordpad icons with Word (threads found but issue unresolved)

Hello,

I recently read the two threads related to my issue but the answers given
did not solve my problem.

I'm using Office 2003 Small Business Edition on XP Pro (SP2) and all of a
sudden my .DOC files became associated with Wordpad. I went into My
ComputerToolsFolder Options, etc. and manually reassociated the files with
Word, but the Wordpad icon still remains.

I've also tried doing a repair-reinstall of Office to no effect. I'm
considering completely removing Office and reinstalling anew but I wanted to
know if anyone had further advice beyond that already given in the
aforementioned two threads.

Thanks for the help!

-A
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

Have you tried to run Word with the /r switch to restore file
associations? For instructions, see:

How to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/ReRegisterWord.htm

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Archer" wrote in message
Hello,

I recently read the two threads related to my issue but the answers

given
did not solve my problem.

I'm using Office 2003 Small Business Edition on XP Pro (SP2) and all

of a
sudden my .DOC files became associated with Wordpad. I went into My
ComputerToolsFolder Options, etc. and manually reassociated the

files with
Word, but the Wordpad icon still remains.

I've also tried doing a repair-reinstall of Office to no effect.

I'm
considering completely removing Office and reinstalling anew but I

wanted to
know if anyone had further advice beyond that already given in the
aforementioned two threads.

Thanks for the help!

-A

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Archer

Yeah, I have tried re-registering Word--sorry, I forgot to mention that in my
original post. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

"Archer" wrote in message
Hello,

I recently read the two threads related to my issue but the answers

given
did not solve my problem.

I'm using Office 2003 Small Business Edition on XP Pro (SP2) and all

of a
sudden my .DOC files became associated with Wordpad. I went into My
ComputerToolsFolder Options, etc. and manually reassociated the

files with
Word, but the Wordpad icon still remains.

I've also tried doing a repair-reinstall of Office to no effect.

I'm
considering completely removing Office and reinstalling anew but I

wanted to
know if anyone had further advice beyond that already given in the
aforementioned two threads.

Thanks for the help!

-A

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

Are you saying that, after running winword /r, Word documents still
open in WordPad as you double-click them, or just that the icon used
for them is incorrect? If it's just the icon, you should be able to
easily change that in Windows, via the Folder Options dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Archer" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Archer

Hi, Stefan,

Thanks for the replies! Sorry about not being clear--I've already used the
Folder Options dialog box to reassociate the .DOC files with Word but the
icons themselves still show up as Wordpad icons. I was told by my computer
builder that this is because of lingering remnants on my PC of OpenOffice
that was removed prior to them installing Microsoft Office per my request.

Thus, when I click on My ComputerToolsFolder OptionsFile Types, my .DOC
files show up as Word icons IN THE FOLDER OPTIONS DIALOG BOX but not on the
rest of my computer. Further, the "Details for 'DOC' extension" on the File
Types tab tell me that I've "...customized files with extension 'DOC'." This
is what I had to do in order to get the files to open in Word, but my icons
still won't switch over.

So, in short, everything works, technically, but I'd love to be able to have
my Microsoft Office install work as it should (e.g. have my Word icons BY
DEFAULT register with Word rather than Wordpad) rather than because I've had
to change these particular settings.

Thanks again for the help!

-A

P.S. Sorry for the bolding...just trying to emphasize.