Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Dave is offline

Default Looking for missing symbol

Occasionally, when I copy/paste some text, the 'Enter' character takes the
form of a symbol like the hands of a clock at 9:00 PM, with the end of the
hour hand taking the form of a small arrow.

I'd like to be able to Find/Replace these characters, except I can't find
out what the symbol is, and I don't see how to get it into the Find window.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thx
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I suspect you're describing a line break. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm. You can replace line
breaks with paragraph breaks by replacing ^l (that's a lowercase L) with ^p.

"Dave" wrote in message
Occasionally, when I copy/paste some text, the 'Enter' character takes the
form of a symbol like the hands of a clock at 9:00 PM, with the end of the
hour hand taking the form of a small arrow.

I'd like to be able to Find/Replace these characters, except I can't find
out what the symbol is, and I don't see how to get it into the Find
window.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thx
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

To: Dave,

The Clock at nine oclock symbol is part of the Wingdings character set with
an ASCII value of 191 (which is an upside down question mark in normal text).
The bigger question, is how does it come to appear in your text when you
copy/paste?

-Steven Craig Miller

"Dave" wrote:

Occasionally, when I copy/paste some text, the 'Enter' character takes the
form of a symbol like the hands of a clock at 9:00 PM, with the end of the
hour hand taking the form of a small arrow.

I'd like to be able to Find/Replace these characters, except I can't find
out what the symbol is, and I don't see how to get it into the Find window.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thx
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Dave is offline

Thanks everybody-
Steve - don't really know how these things come - as I said, sometimes when
I copy/paste (probably from a web page, but I'm not sure that is the only
time) it just 'happens'

And thank you also Ms. Barnhill , right on target as always.

Much appreciate the help

Dave

To: Dave,