Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Solon Solon is offline

Default Menu Bar Order (The File menu moved)

Greetings,
Using Word 2003 in Windows XP. I was recently working on some documents and
recall funny things happening (I'd click on a portion and a 'Research' thing
would open up on the right and things like that). Today I notice that my
Menu bar has moved the "File" menu to the right of the rest.
Instead of
File Edit View Insert Format Tools Table Window
Help

I have

Edit View Insert Format Tools Table Window Help File

I found out how to change the order of the commands in each menu, but not
how to change the order of the items in the Menu bar (I'm willing to hack
the registry, if I must).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Solon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Click Tools | Customize. You can then drag the File menu to its original
location.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Solon" wrote in message
Greetings,
Using Word 2003 in Windows XP. I was recently working on some documents
and recall funny things happening (I'd click on a portion and a 'Research'
thing would open up on the right and things like that). Today I notice
that my Menu bar has moved the "File" menu to the right of the rest.
Instead of
File Edit View Insert Format Tools Table
Window Help

I have

Edit View Insert Format Tools Table Window Help
File

I found out how to change the order of the commands in each menu, but not
how to change the order of the items in the Menu bar (I'm willing to hack
the registry, if I must).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Solon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Solon Solon is offline

Stefan,
Thanks for the info. I'd tried that a bunch of times with no success, but
then after reading your post I tried again and got it on the first try.

You must have Magic Spells in your post to make Word obey!

Thanks,

Solon

"Solon" wrote in message
Greetings,
Using Word 2003 in Windows XP. I was recently working on some documents
and recall funny things happening (I'd click on a portion and a
'Research' thing would open up on the right and things like that). Today
I notice that my Menu bar has moved the "File" menu to the right of the
rest.
Instead of
File Edit View Insert Format Tools Table Window
Help

I have

Edit View Insert Format Tools Table Window Help File

I found out how to change the order of the commands in each menu, but not
how to change the order of the items in the Menu bar (I'm willing to hack
the registry, if I must).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Solon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Actually, you don't even need Tools Customize. Alt+Drag will work as well
and is the probable means by which the OP screwed it up in the first place

"Solon" wrote in message
Greetings,
Using Word 2003 in Windows XP. I was recently working on some
documents and recall funny things happening (I'd click on a portion
and a 'Research' thing would open up on the right and things like
that). Today I notice that my Menu bar has moved the "File" menu to
the right of the rest. Instead of
File Edit View Insert Format Tools Table
Window Help

I have

Edit View Insert Format Tools Table Window Help
File

I found out how to change the order of the commands in each menu,
but not how to change the order of the items in the Menu bar (I'm
willing to hack the registry, if I must).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Solon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Solon Solon is offline

Graham,
Yeah, I figure that's what I did, just no idea HOW I did it :-)
And knowing that Alt+Drag will do it goes a long way to explaining HOW..

Thanks,

Solon