Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daniel Schaffer Daniel Schaffer is offline

Default Formatting fonts in an outline

In Word 2003, I'm making an outline. I clicked on the "numbering" button,
and then went to "Format" and selected "bullets and numbering". I chose the
kind of outline I wanted, and Word has complied.

My problem is that Word formats every level of the outline in Boldface. I
went back to the box where one chooses the outline scheme and pressed
"customize". This brought up the box "Customize Outline Numbered List". I
clicked on "Font" which gave me the choice of fonts and fond styles. I
chose "regular" for most levels of the outline and then pressed OK a number
of times to go back to my text. Alas, everything in the outline, including
parts following my attempt to format, is still in boldface.

Is there a way I can choose to have some levels *not* in boldface (or italic
for that matter).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Good luck, Dan S

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It sounds as if you may have selected one of the outline types that are
linked to the built-in heading styles. The formatting of their paragraphs is
linked to the paragraph style, not the number format.

"Daniel Schaffer" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daniel Schaffer Daniel Schaffer is offline

Hi Suzanne,

Yes, that's what I did. I'll go to "Format", click on "bullets and
numbering", and modify the style for certain headings.

Many thanks for your help.

Dan S

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You need to modify the styles themselves. Select the style in the Styles and
Formatting task pane, right-click, choose Modify..., and go from there. The
font can be changed in the Modify Style dialog without having to go through
Format | Font. Alternatively, you can link the numbering levels to
nonheading styles such as the List Number series. If you leave the outline
numbering linked to headings and you're using them for an outline, you'll
want to remove the "Keep with next" formatting from at least Headings 3 and
4; otherwise you'll run into pagination issues.