Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Andy Fish Andy Fish is offline

Default quick styles in word 2007

Hi,

I have a document with 10 or so styles that I work with regularly. In word
2003 and before there is a drop-down list of styles which I can use to just
select the style for the current paragraph, which is nice and easy.

however, in word 2007 this seems to have been replaced by the "quick styles"
toolbar which contains the standard built-in styles (which I don't use). I
spent about 1/2 an hour changing this to have my styles in it but the next
time I came to use the word it was all set back again (or maybe the quick
styles list is stored per document - I don't know)

at the moment, the only way I can easily select the styles for paragraphs as
I'm editing the document is to have the styles window open on the right hand
side of the document the whole time.

so what i'm looking for is a way to either (a) show the drop down styles
list like previous versions of word, or (b) have the quick styles toolbar
show the styles that are defined in the document rather than the microsoft
built in ones

thanks

Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"Andy Fish" wrote in message
[...]

You can add the old Style box to the Quick Access Toolbar, via Office button
| Word Options, Customize category. Under "Choose commands from," pick
"Commands Not in the Ribbon" and locate the Style command (the screen tip
shows StyleGalleryClassic). Click the Add button to display it on the QAT.
When you are done, click OK to close the dialog box.

As you've noticed, when you create a so-called Quick Style it is created for
the current document only. You can add it to the template by modifying the
style, making sure to choose the "New documents based on this template"
option before clicking OK.

To modify a style: Right-click its name in the Styles pane (or in the Styles
group of the Home ribbon), and choose Modify from the context menu.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Note, however, that the Styles dropdown shows way more styles than most
people are interested in *and* shows them graphically (and there's no option
to change the latter).

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
"Andy Fish" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a document with 10 or so styles that I work with regularly. In
word
2003 and before there is a drop-down list of styles which I can use to
just select the style for the current paragraph, which is nice and easy.

however, in word 2007 this seems to have been replaced by the "quick
styles" toolbar which contains the standard built-in styles (which I
don't
use). I spent about 1/2 an hour changing this to have my styles in it but
the next time I came to use the word it was all set back again (or maybe
the quick styles list is stored per document - I don't know)

at the moment, the only way I can easily select the styles for paragraphs
as I'm editing the document is to have the styles window open on the
right
hand side of the document the whole time.

so what i'm looking for is a way to either (a) show the drop down styles
list like previous versions of word, or (b) have the quick styles toolbar
show the styles that are defined in the document rather than the
microsoft
built in ones

You can add the old Style box to the Quick Access Toolbar, via Office
button
| Word Options, Customize category. Under "Choose commands from," pick
"Commands Not in the Ribbon" and locate the Style command (the screen tip
shows StyleGalleryClassic). Click the Add button to display it on the QAT.
When you are done, click OK to close the dialog box.

As you've noticed, when you create a so-called Quick Style it is created
for the current document only. You can add it to the template by modifying
the style, making sure to choose the "New documents based on this
template" option before clicking OK.

To modify a style: Right-click its name in the Styles pane (or in the
Styles group of the Home ribbon), and choose Modify from the context menu.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Andy Fish Andy Fish is offline

thanks for the tip.

Because I have pruned out most of the unnecessary styles from my document,
it only seems to show the ones I want so this works for me

though why there isn't a simple way to do this with the quick style gallery
is a mystery.

"Andy Fish" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a document with 10 or so styles that I work with regularly. In
word
2003 and before there is a drop-down list of styles which I can use to
just select the style for the current paragraph, which is nice and easy.

however, in word 2007 this seems to have been replaced by the "quick
styles" toolbar which contains the standard built-in styles (which I
don't
use). I spent about 1/2 an hour changing this to have my styles in it
but
the next time I came to use the word it was all set back again (or maybe
the quick styles list is stored per document - I don't know)

at the moment, the only way I can easily select the styles for
paragraphs
as I'm editing the document is to have the styles window open on the
right
hand side of the document the whole time.

so what i'm looking for is a way to either (a) show the drop down styles
list like previous versions of word, or (b) have the quick styles
toolbar
show the styles that are defined in the document rather than the
microsoft
built in ones

You can add the old Style box to the Quick Access Toolbar, via Office
button
| Word Options, Customize category. Under "Choose commands from," pick
"Commands Not in the Ribbon" and locate the Style command (the screen tip
shows StyleGalleryClassic). Click the Add button to display it on the
QAT.
When you are done, click OK to close the dialog box.

As you've noticed, when you create a so-called Quick Style it is created
for the current document only. You can add it to the template by
modifying the style, making sure to choose the "New documents based on
this template" option before clicking OK.

To modify a style: Right-click its name in the Styles pane (or in the
Styles group of the Home ribbon), and choose Modify from the context
menu.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jules[_3_] Jules[_3_] is offline

You can save your styles as quick style set and save your template with that
style set as the default. You can also stop users from switching
themes/quick style sets in your template.

"Andy Fish" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a document with 10 or so styles that I work with regularly. In
word
2003 and before there is a drop-down list of styles which I can use to
just select the style for the current paragraph, which is nice and
easy.

however, in word 2007 this seems to have been replaced by the "quick
styles" toolbar which contains the standard built-in styles (which I
don't
use). I spent about 1/2 an hour changing this to have my styles in it
but
the next time I came to use the word it was all set back again (or
maybe
the quick styles list is stored per document - I don't know)

at the moment, the only way I can easily select the styles for
paragraphs
as I'm editing the document is to have the styles window open on the
right
hand side of the document the whole time.

so what i'm looking for is a way to either (a) show the drop down
styles
list like previous versions of word, or (b) have the quick styles
toolbar
show the styles that are defined in the document rather than the
microsoft
built in ones

You can add the old Style box to the Quick Access Toolbar, via Office
button
| Word Options, Customize category. Under "Choose commands from," pick
"Commands Not in the Ribbon" and locate the Style command (the screen
tip
shows StyleGalleryClassic). Click the Add button to display it on the
QAT.
When you are done, click OK to close the dialog box.

As you've noticed, when you create a so-called Quick Style it is created
for the current document only. You can add it to the template by
modifying the style, making sure to choose the "New documents based on
this template" option before clicking OK.

To modify a style: Right-click its name in the Styles pane (or in the
Styles group of the Home ribbon), and choose Modify from the context
menu.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I saw the same in a Word 2003 document, in which only the "Styles in use"
were displayed, but in a new blank document, there's an endless display of
table styles that takes up quite a lot of space. I would still prefer to
have the option of having the styles listed in plain text, however.

"Andy Fish" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a document with 10 or so styles that I work with regularly. In
word
2003 and before there is a drop-down list of styles which I can use to
just select the style for the current paragraph, which is nice and
easy.

however, in word 2007 this seems to have been replaced by the "quick
styles" toolbar which contains the standard built-in styles (which I
don't
use). I spent about 1/2 an hour changing this to have my styles in it
but
the next time I came to use the word it was all set back again (or
maybe
the quick styles list is stored per document - I don't know)

at the moment, the only way I can easily select the styles for
paragraphs
as I'm editing the document is to have the styles window open on the
right
hand side of the document the whole time.

so what i'm looking for is a way to either (a) show the drop down
styles
list like previous versions of word, or (b) have the quick styles
toolbar
show the styles that are defined in the document rather than the
microsoft
built in ones

You can add the old Style box to the Quick Access Toolbar, via Office
button
| Word Options, Customize category. Under "Choose commands from," pick
"Commands Not in the Ribbon" and locate the Style command (the screen
tip
shows StyleGalleryClassic). Click the Add button to display it on the
QAT.
When you are done, click OK to close the dialog box.

As you've noticed, when you create a so-called Quick Style it is created
for the current document only. You can add it to the template by
modifying the style, making sure to choose the "New documents based on
this template" option before clicking OK.

To modify a style: Right-click its name in the Styles pane (or in the
Styles group of the Home ribbon), and choose Modify from the context
menu.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jules[_3_] Jules[_3_] is offline

Not sure of your plain text option (although I believe it is there), but you
can solve the dropdown issue with the Manage Styles option. Hide those
styles you don't want, make visible those you do and give values (10, 1, 3,
4 ) and so on - then when you set that as the recommended style set and save
the quick style set with a Quick Style name and save it as a template and/or
default that is what you will see in the dropdown.

Of course, like all things worthwhile it requires one to spend a little time
and effort in set up. So far I have no complaints with the Quick Styles and
Manage Styles options.

"Andy Fish" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a document with 10 or so styles that I work with regularly. In
word
2003 and before there is a drop-down list of styles which I can use to
just select the style for the current paragraph, which is nice and
easy.

however, in word 2007 this seems to have been replaced by the "quick
styles" toolbar which contains the standard built-in styles (which I
don't
use). I spent about 1/2 an hour changing this to have my styles in it
but
the next time I came to use the word it was all set back again (or
maybe
the quick styles list is stored per document - I don't know)

at the moment, the only way I can easily select the styles for
paragraphs
as I'm editing the document is to have the styles window open on the
right
hand side of the document the whole time.

so what i'm looking for is a way to either (a) show the drop down
styles
list like previous versions of word, or (b) have the quick styles
toolbar
show the styles that are defined in the document rather than the
microsoft
built in ones

You can add the old Style box to the Quick Access Toolbar, via Office
button
| Word Options, Customize category. Under "Choose commands from," pick
"Commands Not in the Ribbon" and locate the Style command (the screen
tip
shows StyleGalleryClassic). Click the Add button to display it on the
QAT.
When you are done, click OK to close the dialog box.

As you've noticed, when you create a so-called Quick Style it is
created for the current document only. You can add it to the template
by modifying the style, making sure to choose the "New documents based
on this template" option before clicking OK.

To modify a style: Right-click its name in the Styles pane (or in the
Styles group of the Home ribbon), and choose Modify from the context
menu.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Andy,

As Jules mentioned you can save customized Quick Style Sets in .dotx templates

1. From Home=Styles=Change Styles=Style Set
use
'Save as Quick Style set'
and give your new style set a name, such as
Andy's Quick Style Set

and select your new Style set.

3. In the Quick Style gallery right click any style you don't want included and Remove it from the Gallery.

4. Repeat Step 1 to save your changes.

5. Use Home tab=Styles=Change Styles=Set as Default

When you restart Word your selections should be what populates the gallery.

"Andy Fish" wrote in message ...
thanks for the tip.

Because I have pruned out most of the unnecessary styles from my document,
it only seems to show the ones I want so this works for me

though why there isn't a simple way to do this with the quick style gallery
is a mystery.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP