Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
shen shen is offline

Default how to input © by keyboard shortcuts in Word

I can input © by menu, but can not get it by keyboard shortcuts. And I knew
that the steps should be menu--insert -- symbol -- special characters,
then find it out the shortcut key is "alt + ctrl + c". But I can not get it
after input "alt + ctrl + c"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 03:32:01 -0700, shen wrote:

I can input © by menu, but can not get it by keyboard shortcuts. And I knew
that the steps should be menu--insert -- symbol -- special characters,
then find it out the shortcut key is "alt + ctrl + c". But I can not get it
after input "alt + ctrl + c"

If that shortcut has been lost somehow, you can reassign it by following the
steps in http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...roToHotkey.htm.
In the Customize dialog, choose the category "Common Symbols" to find the right
command.

There's another way to get a copyright symbol, by typing (c) followed by a
space, which triggers an AutoCorrect entry.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Jay

Strangely, I cannot get Alt+Ctrl+C to work either. Word says it is the
assigned shortcut. I've tried removing it and tried to reassign it, but
Ctrl+Alt+C stubbornly refused to let me enter it into the Enter New Shortcut
box.

There's something fishy with that keyboard combination. It just isn't
working.

Terry Farrell

wrote:

[...]

so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Jay

Strangely, I cannot get Alt+Ctrl+C to work either. Word says it is the
assigned shortcut. I've tried removing it and tried to reassign it, but
Ctrl+Alt+C stubbornly refused to let me enter it into the Enter New Shortcut
box.

There's something fishy with that keyboard combination. It just isn't
working.

Are you on 2007?

Right here right now, on word 2003, it works as advertised... ALT-CTRL-C
does insert a © at the cursor location...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Jean-Guy Marcil wrote:
"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Jay

Strangely, I cannot get Alt+Ctrl+C to work either. Word says it is
the assigned shortcut. I've tried removing it and tried to reassign
it, but Ctrl+Alt+C stubbornly refused to let me enter it into the
Enter New Shortcut box.

There's something fishy with that keyboard combination. It just isn't
working.

Are you on 2007?

Right here right now, on word 2003, it works as advertised...
ALT-CTRL-C does insert a © at the cursor location...

I have both 2003 and 2007 running on the same PC (using the NoReReg entry to
avoid clashes), and Ctrl+Alt+C works in both of them.

Terry, do you have some other software such as SnagIt that might be
snatching the shortcut before Word can see it?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

No add-ins or other software like SnagIt to do this. Other symbol shortcuts
work, (r) registered for instance. But for the copyright, I can only get it
by using Insert Symbol and choosing the (c) symbol, or using Alt+0164. This
is will good old Arial font, so I am sure it isn't font related.

It is the same in Safe Mode too. I wonder if it a language thing: I'll try
English (US) and report back.

Jean-Guy... I'm using 2007.

Terry

Jean-Guy Marcil wrote:
"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

(c) converts to © here when the language is set to English (United
Kingdom)--Word 2003 and Word 2007. So, I don't think language is the issue.
Did you verify that the shortcut exists in the AutoCorrect list?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

Jean-Guy Marcil wrote:
"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

This is really bizarre.

When I go to the Word Options, Proofing, AutoCorrect list, there only a few
entries for smilies and chevrons nothing for (c) or (r) and neither will
execute AutoCorrect (no surprise). Alt+Ctrl+r works just as it should: it is
only Alt+Ctrl+c that doesn't work. How come my AutoCorrect list isn't
populated?

Language setting made no difference.

Terry

Jean-Guy Marcil wrote:
"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Sounds like you have the formatted AutoCorrect entries (which are saved in
Normal.dot) but not the unformatted ones, which are saved in
language-specific .acl files. Maybe the .acl file for English is missing?
FWIW, I have an MSO1033.acl file in C:\Documents and
Settings\Suzanne\Application Data\Microsoft\Office and MSO.ACL files in
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\1033, C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\OFFICE11\1033, and C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\1033.