Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andrea Andrea is offline

Default How do I use field codes to format a number into currency?

I would like to format my numbers in a mail merge to be shown as Currency so
with $ and 2 decimals. I know I can do this with a field code but can't get
it to work.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Press Alt+F9 to reveal the field codes and insert

\# "$,0.00;($,0.00)"

before the closing }

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Andrea" wrote in message
I would like to format my numbers in a mail merge to be shown as Currency
so
with $ and 2 decimals. I know I can do this with a field code but can't
get
it to work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Annette Annette is offline

It works!!! I've been looking for this ever since we switched to Windows XP
and Office 2007. I have problems with percents, also - what would I add to
the code to keep the number as a percent rather than reverting to a decimal?

"Andrea" wrote in message
I would like to format my numbers in a mail merge to be shown as Currency
so
with $ and 2 decimals. I know I can do this with a field code but can't
get
it to work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Annette Annette is offline

Wow...a lot of info! Let's see if I picked the correct one - I would add *
100\# "0%" before the closing }. And it looks like there's a space between *
and 100, and between # and ".

"Andrea" wrote in message
I would like to format my numbers in a mail merge to be shown as
Currency so
with $ and 2 decimals. I know I can do this with a field code but
can't get
it to work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is the correct one, but you have not interpreted it correctly. Note the
extra field brackets {} inserted with CTRL+F9 around the whole.
This is a calculated field surrounding the mergefield.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Press Alt+F9 to reveal the field codes and insert

\# "$,0.00;($,0.00)"

before the closing }

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Andrea" wrote in message
I would like to format my numbers in a mail merge to be shown as
Currency so
with $ and 2 decimals. I know I can do this with a field code but
can't get
it to work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Susan May Susan May is offline

Doug - I just tried to do this and it didn't work. My field codes look like
this

{MERGEFIELD "Sale" \"$,0.00; ($,0.00)"} and it doesn't change the format of
the number that I'm importing from Excel. What am I doing wrong?

"Andrea" wrote in message
I would like to format my numbers in a mail merge to be shown as Currency
so
with $ and 2 decimals. I know I can do this with a field code but can't
get
it to work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Susan May Susan May is offline

Doug, I kept searching for more answers and found the same information and
tried it again, and it worked.

Thanks - no need to reply back.

"Andrea" wrote in message
I would like to format my numbers in a mail merge to be shown as Currency
so
with $ and 2 decimals. I know I can do this with a field code but can't
get
it to work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Change
{MERGEFIELD "Sale" \"$,0.00; ($,0.00)"}
{MERGEFIELD "Sale" \# "$,0.00; ($,0.00)"}

"Andrea" wrote in message
I would like to format my numbers in a mail merge to be shown as
Currency so
with $ and 2 decimals. I know I can do this with a field code but
can't get
it to work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

As posted, there is a "#" missing from your field code - you have

{MERGEFIELD "Sale" \"$,0.00; ($,0.00)"}

and you need

{MERGEFIELD "Sale" \#"$,0.00; ($,0.00)"}

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Andrea" wrote in message
I would like to format my numbers in a mail merge to be shown as Currency
so
with $ and 2 decimals. I know I can do this with a field code but can't
get
it to work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Susan May Susan May is offline

Peter - I just checked my code and I guess with all my queries out there last
Friday, I must have found the right syntax because I have the # sign in there
now.

Thanks so much for the clarification. I was so happy to see that it worked
before I went home on Friday. Love it when things work.

Again, thanks everybody for all your continued support. I don't know what
I'd do without my MS Tech group.

Susan May