Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
The John Owen The John Owen is offline

Default Chapter title and page number as page number in Word 07

I would like to use the current chapter title (as defined by the most recent
occurrence of Header 1 formatting in a document) as an element of the page
number in a Word 07 document I am creating. I can obviously do that manually
by putting a cross-reference on each page. I can also obviously have Word
recognize how many times Header 1 has appeared, because that seems to be what
triggers Word to increment the chapter number by 1. But how can I get word to
automatically recognize not just the chapter number, but text contained
within the chapter title, and have it appear in the page number like so:

Name of the chapter here | 2

I'm not any good with Visual Basic, but I am happy to revise existing code
with offered suggestions and then play around with it.

Thanks!