katet

Default mail merge address formatting

I am doing a mail merge with a letter in word and the address details from an
excel spreadsheeet. It is all faily simple, but I want to format the address
layout more than it will allow.

It seems to only allow 5 lines for any address meaning that the last line
often contains lots of information seperated by commas
eg. Slough, Berks, XXX XXX
Whereas I want to format it so that they are on their own lines eg.
Slough
Berks
XXX XXX

Can I do this as part of the merge, or do I have to go through the final
document at the end and do it manually??

Doug Robbins

Rather than using the Address Block field, just insert the individual
mergefields in the arrangement that you want.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"katet" wrote in message
I am doing a mail merge with a letter in word and the address details from
an
excel spreadsheeet. It is all faily simple, but I want to format the
address
layout more than it will allow.

It seems to only allow 5 lines for any address meaning that the last line
often contains lots of information seperated by commas
eg. Slough, Berks, XXX XXX
Whereas I want to format it so that they are on their own lines eg.
Slough
Berks
XXX XXX

Can I do this as part of the merge, or do I have to go through the final
document at the end and do it manually??

Cindy Meister

Which version of Word are we discussing?

Normally, Word doesn't limit the number of lines for anything, unless you're
working in a frame or a table cell with a set height...

Are you trying to use the AddressBlock for the addresses? How about if you
simply insert the individual merge fields in the layout you'd like to have?

-- Cindy

"katet" wrote:

I am doing a mail merge with a letter in word and the address details from an
excel spreadsheeet. It is all faily simple, but I want to format the address
layout more than it will allow.

It seems to only allow 5 lines for any address meaning that the last line
often contains lots of information seperated by commas
eg. Slough, Berks, XXX XXX
Whereas I want to format it so that they are on their own lines eg.
Slough
Berks
XXX XXX

Can I do this as part of the merge, or do I have to go through the final
document at the end and do it manually??

katet

Thanks - I didn't realise that's what the "more items" function allowed.

Just done a quick test and it seems to do what I need - but do I have to
worry about commas etc. For instance if I want to stipulate that the 3rd and
4th lines of the address follow each other sepearted by a comma, can i just
leave it as
Address_1Address_2
and know that it will do it automatically or do I have to manually insert a
comma and a space eg:
Address_1, Address_2

"katet" wrote:

I am doing a mail merge with a letter in word and the address details from an
excel spreadsheeet. It is all faily simple, but I want to format the address
layout more than it will allow.

It seems to only allow 5 lines for any address meaning that the last line
often contains lots of information seperated by commas
eg. Slough, Berks, XXX XXX
Whereas I want to format it so that they are on their own lines eg.
Slough
Berks
XXX XXX

Can I do this as part of the merge, or do I have to go through the final
document at the end and do it manually??

Cindy Meister

You have to manually insert the comma and the space.

And, if some things are conditional, you have to manually build an IF field
to handle it.

-- Cindy