Chris

Default Can one item of text be automatically replicated in several spots?

What I want to do is this:

I'm preparing a word document where the same info (a name) has to be entered
by another staff member in about 4 different places. When it's typed in the
first such spot, surely there must be an easy way to make it copy
automatically to the other 3?

Else the user has to re-type the same info each time.

Example: Say that a customer's name is to be typed in at the start and end
of an agreement. Instead of having "we agree with _______ that...." and then
later, "agreed to by _______", I want to type "Johnny Customer" in the first
blank, and have that automatically appear in the second one as well.

I've made some progress on this:

(1) I created a field where the first blank space is, and called that field
"Name" (Field type is "Fill-in").
(2) I then re-selected that same field, and also made it a bookmark, called
"CName".
(3) Next, I went to the second blank space, and made that a field as well.
This field type is "Ref", and cross-refers back to the CName Bookmark.

Now that worked "OK-ish". I typed "Johnny Customer" into the first field,
and the second field did in fact come up with "Johnny Customer" too.

However, when I change the original instance, it doesn't replicate the
change in the second instance automatically. It only does so if I select the
second instance, and force an update using F-9. That's not good enough!

Any tips on this? I'm sure there must be either a better way to structure
the fields, or a useful macro.

Also, right now it's far too easy to delete the first instance by accident,
unless you're careful about how you place the cursor. Must be some way to
protect it better.