Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stoopit Stoopit is offline

Default RFT-DCA converter for Word 2003

I come across files in this format (from old IBM days...) that Word won't
open. I have one old computer with Office 2000 that has this converter
installed (can pull down from a list of converters when you go to open the
file - similarly viewable under Save As list of file types). I need to
decomission that computer, and have a Word 2003 computer(s) with this
capability.

I tried www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm and downloaded the zip file for this -
it has a .cnv and .reg file. Ran the .reg & now see DisplayWrite
(*.rft;*.dca) file type. Tried to test with a Save As, but got error "Word
cannot start the converter Rftdca32.cnv". There were no instructions with
the download - help!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stoopit Stoopit is offline

Well, looked at the reg file, and it looks like it was looking for a certain
path. Fixed that, and it seems to be working. Boy am I stoopit :-( Hope
it works the same on Word 2003 (that was 2000)

"Stoopit" wrote:

I come across files in this format (from old IBM days...) that Word won't
open. I have one old computer with Office 2000 that has this converter
installed (can pull down from a list of converters when you go to open the
file - similarly viewable under Save As list of file types). I need to
decomission that computer, and have a Word 2003 computer(s) with this
capability.

I tried www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm and downloaded the zip file for this -
it has a .cnv and .reg file. Ran the .reg & now see DisplayWrite
(*.rft;*.dca) file type. Tried to test with a Save As, but got error "Word
cannot start the converter Rftdca32.cnv". There were no instructions with
the download - help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It will work with Word 2003, though Microsoft keeps releasing security
patches which conspire against full compatibility with these old converters.
The path in the registry patch is the path in which Word converters are
supposed to be installed. The instructions that you couldn't find are in
bold type at the top of the section on the web page from which you
downloaded the file.

"Stoopit" wrote:

I come across files in this format (from old IBM days...) that Word
won't open. I have one old computer with Office 2000 that has this
converter installed (can pull down from a list of converters when
you go to open the file - similarly viewable under Save As list of
file types). I need to decomission that computer, and have a Word
2003 computer(s) with this capability.

I tried www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm and downloaded the zip file for
this - it has a .cnv and .reg file. Ran the .reg & now see
DisplayWrite (*.rft;*.dca) file type. Tried to test with a Save As,
but got error "Word cannot start the converter Rftdca32.cnv". There
were no instructions with the download - help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] jbfarnell@gmail.com is offline

Has anyone tried this with Office 2007? I am not able to get this
converter to work with '07.

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

"Stoopit" wrote:

I come across files in this format (from old IBM days...) that Word
won't open. I have one old computer with Office 2000 that has this
converter installed (can pull down from a list of converters when
you go to open the file - similarly viewable under Save As list of
file types). I need to decomission that computer, and have a Word
2003 computer(s) with this capability.

I triedwww.gmayor.com/downloads.htmand downloaded the zip file for
this - it has a .cnv and .reg file. Ran the .reg & now see
DisplayWrite (*.rft;*.dca) file type. Tried to test with a Save As,
but got error "Word cannot start the converter Rftdca32.cnv". There
were no instructions with the download - help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stoopit Stoopit is offline

Thanks, Graham - and now that I know that it doesn't work on 2007, I have
something to look forward to someday. Any plans for a future 2007 fix?

"Stoopit" wrote:

I come across files in this format (from old IBM days...) that Word
won't open. I have one old computer with Office 2000 that has this
converter installed (can pull down from a list of converters when
you go to open the file - similarly viewable under Save As list of
file types). I need to decomission that computer, and have a Word
2003 computer(s) with this capability.

I tried www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm and downloaded the zip file for
this - it has a .cnv and .reg file. Ran the .reg & now see
DisplayWrite (*.rft;*.dca) file type. Tried to test with a Save As,
but got error "Word cannot start the converter Rftdca32.cnv". There
were no instructions with the download - help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

No idea - but I would think it unlikely. The filter under discussion was
withdrawn ages ago and was never replaced.
You will have to look to third party solutions such as FileMerlin.