Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dminson dminson is offline

Default Word Templates: .dot overwriting vs. .dotm overwriting

€¢Our template is stored on a server
€¢We have numerous folks in multiple call centers connected to our template
to access autotexts, etc.
€¢While numerous folks are connected to the template, we can currently
overwrite a .dot template (in both Word 2003 and 2007)
(Of course, folks cant see the changes until they log out and back on to
Word 2003)
€¢Unfortunately, in Word 2007, we have not been able to overwrite a .dotm
template when anyone else is connected to it. We get a message stating that
the file is in use and cant be overwritten.

Can anyone tell me why and suggest a way around it?

Details:
€¢yes, we must use a .dotm because template macros are an important part of
our workflow
€¢No, we cant ask everyone to log out while we update the template

Thanks, Don