Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
mkraft mkraft is offline

Default Problems duplex printing a table when paper size is non-standard

I frequently create documents intended to go into 6 x 8 1/2" binders. This
presents a problem when printing on both sides of the page using that page
size. That is, the text on the second side of the page does not align
properly (horizontally) unless the second side is separately formatted as a
different 'section.' As the document grows in size, this makes double-sided
printing complex and awkward.

When a table is involved, the situation is even worse. I know of no
solution without actually splitting the table -- in most cases that's a cure
that's worse than the disease.

I have not found that activating 'mirror margins' helps, as it seems to have
been designed with only an 8 1/2 x 11" sheet of paper in mind.

Any ideas?

Replies appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

The question here is whether your printer actually has a definition for the
6 x 8.5" paper size. If not, and if you're setting it up as a Custom size,
then you're probably doomed to disappointment. Instead, set it up as Letter
(or the closest larger size) and increase the margins accordingly (including
the required gutter or different in Mirror Margins).

"mkraft" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
mkraft mkraft is offline

Default Problems duplex printing a table when paper size is non-standa

The question here is whether your printer actually has a definition for the
6 x 8.5" paper size.

Thanks. How would I be able to determine that? It's an HP Laserjet, so I
assume it's as versatile as most printers in handling different paper sizes.

If not, and if you're setting it up as a Custom size,

In Word, 6 x 8 1/2 would have to be set up as a 'custom' size, wouldn't it?

Instead, set it up as Letter (or the closest larger size) and increase the margins
accordingly (including the required gutter or different in Mirror Margins).

Can you explain this a bit, I don't think I follow you. Do you mean to use
a standard (i.e., non-custom) paper size and simply adjust the size of the
table to conform to 6 x 8 1/2? If so, what about footnotes, headers,
footers, etc.?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

When you select the paper size in Page Setup, do you see 6" x 8.5" listed as
a paper size? No? I thought not. In that case, you're having to set it up as
a custom size. HP LaserJets differ in how they handle custom sizes. My LJ 4
fed small sizes on the left; the LJ 4100 feeds built-in small sizes from the
center (where the paper guides converge) but custom small sizes from the
left. This means I have two choices: (1) set up a custom size and feed it
from the left, unable to take advantage of the paper guides, or (b) set up
the custom size in the center of a Letter-sized page and feed it from the
center. I tend to do a little of both.

You'll have to experiment to see how your printer deals with smaller custom
sizes and make your choice based on that, but I would imagine that option 2
would probably be more satisfactory for duplexing. Basically what you do is
figure out where the content of your small page would print on a page of
Letter paper. Then adjust the margins accordingly.

For example, say you have 0.75" margins all the way around your 6" x 8.5"
page. Assuming that the printer is going to start printing at the top of the
page as fed, you'll need to add 2.5" (the difference between 11" and 8.5")
to just the bottom margin, giving you a 3.25" bottom margin and a 0.75" top
margin. You will also need to adjust the header and footer margins
accordingly.

For the side margins, you'll need to add a total of 2.5" (the difference
between 8.5" and 6"). Whether you add this all on one side or divided
between them will depend on the results of your experiments with where the
page prints relative to where you want to feed it. You'll end up with
margins of ) .75" and 3.25" on the left and right or 2" on both sides. The
body of your document (including footnotes) will be confined within these
margins; the header and footer will be placed at the header and footer
margins you set. It may help you to lay your 6" x 8.5" page on top of a
sheet of Letter paper and draw around it to get the concept of what you're
trying to do.

"mkraft" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

One other note: Depending on what LJ you have, you may be able to add 6" x
8.5" as a defined paper size in the printer Properties. The LJ 4100, for
example, permits a certain number of user-defined sizes.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

so
all may benefit.

news