Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
airhockeycanada airhockeycanada is offline

Default Gridlines in Word Template Document

Good afternoon.

I want to send a form template document to other individuals and when I've
tested this by sending to one person, although I have the table gridlines off
(not displayed) when she opened the template the gridlines appear.

How can I ensure that whoever opens the file that they have the template
displayed the way I want them to see it?

Thanks.
--
S. Ross
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

airhockeycanada wrote:
Good afternoon.

I want to send a form template document to other individuals and when
I've tested this by sending to one person, although I have the table
gridlines off (not displayed) when she opened the template the
gridlines appear.

How can I ensure that whoever opens the file that they have the
template displayed the way I want them to see it?

Thanks.

Since the Show/Hide Gridlines setting is stored locally and not in the
document file, you can't exercise that kind of control -- it's entirely up
to the recipient.

However, you can cover the gridlines by enabling all the inner and outer
borders of the table and setting their color to white. (That assumes the
recipient hasn't altered the background color of all Windows applications to
something other than white.)

The only other alternative is a case of the cure being worse than the
ailment. Although you could include a macro in the document to turn off
gridlines, the macro itself will cause Word to show the macro security
warning when opening the document -- unless the recipient's macro security
level is set to High or Very High, in which case the macro won't run and
you're back to square one.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Not to mention if the user prefers their Table Gridlines be left turned on
the macro method won't win any friends (many users dislike getting their
preferences changed on them) and it may get more IT calls, such as "I can't
see the lines on my labels". grin

Beth Melton