bhsmaths

Default include picture field

Hi,
I have a Word mail-merge document which creates photo library cards.
Although I have it running OK, there is one quirk in the program which I am
interested in why it happens. My previous mail-merge worked perfectly on
Word 97 /2000; however, when my school updated all machines to XP and Word
2003, I had to slightly modify the syntax.
My query is
When I run my mail-merge document external (ie different directory,drive or
mapping) to my photo data the merge works perfectly. However, if I run my
document from the same directory different problems occur depending how I
access the photo directory. I note that if I modify the document and resave
to say "c:/images/filename", where c:/images" is the directory where my
images are saved that the field codes are changes to instead of c:\\images
.... to c:..\\images and the merge fails to correctly find the photo data.
(One interesting fact is the merge works perfectly before I save the updated
document).
I tried a second method where my data file contains the full path of my
photo data eg c:\\images\\7\\name.jpg. Again this works perfectly if the
document is external to the c:/images directly but as soon as the SAME FILE
is copied into this directory and mail-merged many photos are not found.
I do have the file working but am interested in why the different behaviour
depending on where the document is saved.
Thank you for any help.
Allan R Smyth
at BHSmaths

Peter Jamieson

If you go into Tools|Options|General!Web Options"|Files and uncheck "Update
links on save" everything seems to work rather better, despite the fact that
"Web Options" should be irrelevant when the document is not being saved as a
web page, on a web, etc. etc.

Peter Jamieson