Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vicky Vicky is offline

Default Word 2007 Autocomplete date feature not working

I understand their is no way to turn off or on. On my home computer it works
fine. At work it doesnt work on several of the machines used by my students.
Any thoughts? It is strange that it works on some computers on a network
and not others.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can still turn the setting on or off by using a macro. Try the following
for the users/computers where it isn't working:

Sub EnableAutoCompleteDates()
Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips = True
End Sub

If you need assistance, see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Vicky" wrote in message
I understand their is no way to turn off or on. On my home computer it
works
fine. At work it doesnt work on several of the machines used by my
students.
Any thoughts? It is strange that it works on some computers on a network
and not others.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vicky Vicky is offline

I've read that. So this is the only way. Isnt it odd that it works on some
machines ina group and not others?

"Vicky" wrote in message
I understand their is no way to turn off or on. On my home computer it
works
fine. At work it doesnt work on several of the machines used by my
students.
Any thoughts? It is strange that it works on some computers on a network
and not others.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Indeed, in Word 2007 you can only change the setting via a macro. (Word Help
states that you cannot turn it off.) If you have turned it on, and it still
doesn't work correctly, verify that the correct language is applied to text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Vicky" wrote in message
I understand their is no way to turn off or on. On my home computer it
works
fine. At work it doesnt work on several of the machines used by my
students.
Any thoughts? It is strange that it works on some computers on a
network
and not others.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dswtan dswtan is offline

2 years on from the thread below and 2 service packs later, I have to say I'm
surprised this is still not fixed, i.e. default off and an option to switch
it on that doesn't require reprogramming Word with a macro.

Like the poster below, bizarrely my wife and I found that it (date
autocomplete), which she did not want on and had been driving her nuts for
months, only occurred on her machine and none of mine (tried 2). One
difference was that she had her language set to UK English whereas mine is
set to US English. Perhaps this may explain some of the apparent
inconsistency that people are seeing?

Sure the workaround is just pressing "escape" if you don't want the
autocomplete suggestion, but I'm still surprised this wasn't fixed in a
service pack.

"Vicky" wrote in message
I understand their is no way to turn off or on. On my home computer it
works
fine. At work it doesnt work on several of the machines used by my
students.
Any thoughts? It is strange that it works on some computers on a
network
and not others.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

I appreciate your point but there's no need to press ESC or use any other
workaround... If you don't want to press Enter to accept the date just keep
typing & the AutoComplete Tip will go away of its own accord.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/7/09 12:34 PM, in article
, "dswtan"

"Vicky" wrote in message
I understand their is no way to turn off or on. On my home computer it
works
fine. At work it doesnt work on several of the machines used by my
students.
Any thoughts? It is strange that it works on some computers on a
network
and not others.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dswtan dswtan is offline

Good point Bob -- unfortunately my wife's scenario was to start a letter with
the date at the top and press enter (CR) immediately after that, thus hitting
the autocomplete every time she wrote a letter, which was at least weekly.

So just a nit then, but we expect high polish from the premier word
processing app. :-)

"Vicky" wrote in message
I understand their is no way to turn off or on. On my home computer it
works
fine. At work it doesnt work on several of the machines used by my
students.
Any thoughts? It is strange that it works on some computers on a
network
and not others.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the letter template contains the CreateDate field, it isn't necessary to
t ype the date.

http://word.mvps.org