Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Keith Willcocks

Default Non Breaking Space

A friend, who does not have internet access, has asked me to post this
question for him. He uses Word from Office XP and most of his typing is in
French using Arial font. He has paragraph formatting displayed when typing
and has found that every time he types a question mark (and other
punctuation marks) a non breaking space is placed between the end of the
word and the punctuation mark, whereas he wants no space between them. We
cannot find a way to stop this happening, can some kind person advise us
please.

Keith Willcocks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans

When your language is set to French this AutoFormat is controlled by the
"Smart Quotes" option.

He can just press Ctrl+Z when it happens to undo the AutoFormat or he can
switch the option off ..

Tools AutoCorrect AutoFormat As You Type tab.
Uncheck "Replace straight quotes with smart quotes"
He might also want to make the same change under the AutoFormat tab

Note that this will also switch off options he may want, like the French
double chevron quote marks.

--
Enjoy,
Tony