Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SandyR

Default Version Security in Word

I want to have a word document set up so that when you close it you are asked
to update the version number and this version number is added to the footer
of the document. I need to be able to leave the version number the same if
changes are not completed however.

I know it is possible because it was done by someone in a previous workplace.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

There is a built-in Revision Number property which is basically a count of
the number of times the document has been saved. You can display it in the
footer.

Edit the footer and select Insert Field form the Menu.
Scroll down and select Doc Property from the list on the left.
Then scroll down and select Revision Number from the list on the right.
Click OK.

The field will need updating to show the latest version - switching to
normal view and (back to) print view will do it as easily as anything else.
If you want to automate the update you will need code but you can set fields
to update automatically before printing.

--
Enjoy,
Tony