MDavison

Default Index question

In Word 2003 is it possible to get an Index to reference the Heading text
the item is within instead of the page number? Or section numbering? IE:
Section 1.3 or 2.4 as long as the numbering is in place properly? Or are we
limited to page numbers only?

Thanks,
-Monica

Margaret Aldis

No, Indexes reference page numbers only. You can sometimes make use of the
index marker sub entries to manually add additional location information, so
if your section references are all at one level you could experiment with
adding a STYLEREF field to each index marker, but I doubt you'll be able to
produce anything very satisfactory.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"MDavison" wrote in message
In Word 2003 is it possible to get an Index to reference the Heading text
the item is within instead of the page number? Or section numbering? IE:
Section 1.3 or 2.4 as long as the numbering is in place properly? Or are

we
limited to page numbers only?

Thanks,
-Monica

There's a way to add some kind of numbering to the page number, but I guess
no one is familiar enough with this to answer your question. Check the Word
Help topic "Field codes: Index field," with special attention to the
description of the \s switch and the Example at the bottom. I would think
that this option is surely not limited to master documents.